Monday, January 20, 2014

A Powerful WItness

"And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all" (Acts 4:33).


Hey Gang:   I was watching the battles between the left ‘ins' and the right ‘ins’ and, to be perfectly honest, I must admit I had a deep pain (nausea) in the pit of the stomach.  A thought came into my mind:  I thought it might be better to send the ‘donkey's’ and the ‘elephant's ’home for a month or so;  then recruit twenty or thirty teen agers, sequester them in a hotel and give them the challenge to come up with solutions to the national debt, (After all it is their taxes we are spending). Politics and various scandals have tied the congress in knots for the years.

Let me share a neat piece of trivia that I was privileged to be a part of while working in the juvenile hall in California.  On the day I started they handed me a set of keys and pointed me to South Section, where fifty very hostile young men were waiting to give me my orientation.  Hostile is a very un-descriptive word for what I encountered, when I signed in and began my tenure as what my job description titled "Youth Counselor".

There had been several major incidents in the section during the previous months, resulting in several resignations of staff. It was as if I, along with my co-worker, had 'bull's eyes" on our backs, for we were the designees of the wrath that had been building in the section since the first incident, when the administration, who did not set foot in the section, yet in all their wisdom removed all the recreation equipment.
For my first five days in South Section, the fifty detainee's stood around the Day Room in total silence.  Have you ever heard the adage, you can cut the tension with a knife?  On the fifth night I checked out the Bingo equipment, set up a table with Bingo cards and little containers of candy and announced to the group, "I don't know what you are going to do, but I am going to pay Bingo!”

I called every number on the card the first time around and was half way through the second card when one of the lads, who had the gift of sarcasm announced to the group this was the most 'caca mamie' thing he had ever been a part of.  (Actually he used some other words that I chose not to share with you.)   He also sauntered over to the table to get a cup of candy to which I said, "Do you have a Bingo?" Then I asked if he would like to earn one.  I called the rest of the numbers and he earned his cup of candy.

All of this to make the point: I have more confidence that a solution to the nation’s problems could be solved by a group of teen agers than the ‘elephant and donkey’ club who seem far more intent on preventing the loyal opposition from solving the problem and gaining an upper hand in the bondage maker called ‘politics.’

Soooo,  my friends and neighbors, I was asked a question recently,  “Why is it we elect people who we think have the ability, discipline and desire to make our country a better place, but soon after taking their seat in congress they seem to lose their common sense?” My answer: “Where does wisdom come from?  The Word says “Wisdom is the fear or awe of the Lord” (Ps 11:10)   Perhaps we are sending folks to the Belt Way who have succeeded in the things of this world but lack the spiritual foundation to understand the key to success in government is founded on two principles - One to “Love the Lord God with all you heart and the second to love your neighbor so much you are willing to lay down you life for them.” (Luke 10:27 Hainley rendition).

Something to think about.

  Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment