Friday, January 24, 2014

Why GOD?


"Set your minds on things above, not on the things that are on earth.  For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is or life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in Glory? (Co. 3:2-4)

Hey Gang:  Several weeks ago I was privileged to do the eulogy for a long term friend who passed through my life at just the right time. Although an employee, he was oh so much more.  He mentored this young whipper snapper that was light years over his head in developing the Village.  He lived a long and productive life and ran a strong and very productive race, but as the natural process of life set in, his health began to fail and his last year or two was not a pleasant experience for him or his family.

Did you know that death is sometimes a blessing?  As I grow older and my body sends signs it is wearing out, I have gained a much deeper appreciation to our God for giving Adam and Eve the heave hoe when they bit into the forbidden fruit.  How would you like to live eternally with a cancer ridden body or one of the many other tools that Satan uses to afflict us?

In other words he was ready to go and collect his reward prepared by His heavenly Father.  But what about my son who was taken at age 21? Or my grandson who was called home at 27?   I certainly handled their passing in a totally different way than with the 91 year old man for whom I did the eulogy.

There is the old adage: ‘If I had a nickel for all the times I said 'why' I would be a rich man.’

In conversation with a pastor friend of mine I said to him, “When I get to heaven I am going to ask God "why".  His response still bangs around in my head; "When you are in the presence of God you will be so awed it will not enter your mind.”  I have since come to the conclusion that is the way I want it.

James Baer of Salmon Arm, British Columbia must have asked the question 'why' and then done some serious research of the question.  His conclusion was that tragedy, tribulation and alligators snapping at your heels, have but one purpose - to test and prepare.  His example was Job.  I think all would agree that Satan laid a series of pretty tough test on him.  I mean to lose your kids, all your animals and then to be covered with boils, YUK!  How does that rate on your harassment meter?

James said our tests are a part of the larger drama of the history of the universe.  First, we need to understand that we are but foot-soldiers in the spiritual battles of the ages.  Second, our tests are significant in that God's reputation is affected by their outcome and how we handle them.  Keep in mind that our choices of faith matter not only to us but to God also.  Job's faithfulness brought God a great victory which He rewarded.

Perhaps the greatest of Baer’s points is that tests are significant! They teach us to believe in God even when the tests are severe and nothing about them seems to make sense.  In other words we learn that God wants is to trust Him for no other reason than that He is God!

Soooo, my friends, my David has been with His Heavenly Daddy for 27 years and I am in the twilight years of my life;  each day getting closer to meeting him in the heavenlies and putting my arms around him and hugging him for a century or two. I think I have learned what Job meant when he said, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13:15). 

In our work with Voice of Martyrs we have found that to be the battle cry of Believers across the world who lay down their lives for their Lord. Keep in mind that God is more interested in our unwavering trust than He is in our pleasure.  I have learned that the real joy in tribulation and disappointments in this life is 'this is not my home I am only passing through!'


Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment