Monday, January 13, 2014

Have You Ever Wondered.....?


  
"He has chosen us in Him before the foundation (beginning) of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him....In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace".  (Eph. 1:4, 7) 

Hey Gang:  I have some really fantastic news for you this morning.  News, that when you take the time to really concentrate on what Paul is writing, can blow your mind.   Now, just for a few moments, lay aside the cares and needs of the day and think about what he is saying, "He has chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world".  One more time - "He has chosen us".  He, who? The Mighty One. Creator God of the universe and all that is within it.  Did you know that our earth is but the size of a pinhead, when   compared on scale to the largest star we know –Magnus……  How does God even see me on this pin head?

Not sure who that is? Check out Psalm 50. He is the One who "Summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.   Out of Zion the perfection of beauty God has shown forth" (vs.1-2).  Now skip down to verse 10 and note the Psalmist description of who "He" is.  "For every beast of the forest is Mine, The cattle on a thousand hills.  I know every bird of the mountains, And everything that moves in the field is Mine.  If I were hungry I would not tell you, For the world is Mine, and all it contains"(vs. 10-12). 

Are you impressed yet?  Now notice the third word of the morning Scripture "chosen".  As I asked that question to myself, several things popped into my mind.  When in high school - would I be chosen to play drums in the school dance band?  When in the Air Force, would I be chosen for Air Traffic Control School?  

But the one that really stuck out in my mind was when I was in junior high there was a basketball hoop at the corner of one of the streets in my neighborhood where the kids assembled after school to play hoops.  Two captains were chosen and they took turns picking their team from those present.  I always prayed two prayers during this process: first, that there was no more than eight potential players there for teams of four, due to space, was the max the area would accommodate; second, that I was worthy in their eyes to be chosen.   As I grew in size and experience, the prayers became unnecessary.

But let me share a fear that I had after giving my life to Christ as a teen-ager.  This “chosen” thing began to really bother me.  Keep in mind as a hillbilly kid, with the name Kermit, buck teeth and a very deep inferiority complex, I had a hard time getting it through my head that God would even choose me. And, to make things worse, reading the Bible was like working your way through a jungle of words.  As a very poor reader, all of my effort went into mouthing the words, with no energy or understanding to know what they were saying to me.

And, to compound the feeling I was sure that in no way would the God who declares "The world is mine, and all it contains" choose a bucked teeth, skinny, hillbilly kid for His kingdom.  In my teens and early adult years I tended to hide from God.  Paul described me in Timothy as "having a form of Godliness but lacking the power of God".

Let me make a confession, this morning’s message has been banging around in my head for many months but I am not all that willing to confess my short comings and things I cause me to struggle..  But I had a young couple as guests at our table last night. Jay made this statement, "please do not stop writing the blogs, they have helped grow in the Lord.”  Maybe there are none of you out there who struggle as I did, but perhaps there is one.  Oh by the way, I am now an over-comer!  Jesus said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved".  I met this neat lady, over 60 years ago, and found someone who became my witness and mentor.

Soooo, all of you out there that avail yourself of the morning messages, keep in mind, YOU meet people every day, even some who have made decisions for Christ, but are floundering because they lack understanding and are in desperate need of someone to come along side them and walk with them through some of the mine fields they are encountering.   


Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment