Monday, July 28, 2014

Greater Works! Who ME?

BGEA social media reaches millions!

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father” (John 14:12). 

Hey Gang:  My daddy was a coal miner, a bus driver and a custodian in a school.  His formal education ended in the eighth grade, due to the depression and his need to help support his family.  My mother's background was very similar.  Her father passed away early in her life.  She, too, ended her school years in the eighth grade, to care for her brothers and sisters while her mother scrubbed floors at the local Post Office to keep bread on the table.

By worldly standards, both did not score very high on the "opportunity for achievement chart".  But, they had a drive deep in their hearts that their four sons would have a greater opportunity for achievement than they did; they also sacrificed their lives to make that happen.  They were bound and determined to make sure that their four sons would have "greater works and opportunities”  than they had.  

Their eldest son became a pilot, later squadron commander and gained the high rank of Colonel in the Air Force and raised a family of five children- who also are successful in their various fields of interest.  Their second son became a master's level college graduate and entered the business world; he, too, was the father of five (two are decease), the others are also successful in living their lives as contributing members of their community.

Son number three is yours truly; college graduate, served this country in the Air Force, founder of a youth and family treatment center. We raised four children, all college graduates (David deceased) and today are making a difference in the lives of youth and families.

Son number four completed Tech School and eventually became the head tech rep on an atomic submarine.  I believe my parents, both eighth grade graduates, could say, "They, our children,  did greater works than we were able to do".

I wonder how the disciples felt the day that Jesus shared this promise “greater works will you do” with them.  In many ways they were like my momma and dad, poorly educated with no standing in the social levels of society.  They saw Jesus heal the sick, cast out demons, even raise the dead.  Do you think they might have said to Jesus, "Who me?"   I think I would have.

But, when we look at the life and ministry of Jesus, we note that He was never outside this small area on the Mediterranean Sea and was restricted by time and space.  Billy Graham in one Crusade probably preached to more people than Jesus did in all His ministry on earth.   He spent much of his ministry walking from one place to another. Graham could be in North Carolina in his home in the morning and preaching a Crusade in London that very evening. 

Yesterday, the medical profession announced that they have made another major break thought in learning the root causes of cancer and have even had success in defeating this Satanic killing device.  Is that what He meant by "greater things?"  He gave ability to scientist to take us to the moon and do things in the world of technology that blow our minds, even in this day of rapid learning.  Is that what He meant? 

Soooo, my friends and neighbors, this I know, I was able to accomplish things in my life that were far beyond the capacity of my parents, not because I was smarter than they but because they gave me opportunities to use my abilities in a way they never had the opportunity to use theirs.  When Jesus taught this lesson to His disciples He knew His day on earth were few, but the provision had already been designed in the Throne Room of Heaven - He would send a Comforter to live in the heart of every believer - and through that comforter we would do greater things than He was able to do in limited time and space. 

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment