Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Set Your Mind On Things Above



"If anyone wishes to come after Me, He must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it" (Matt. 16:24-25).

Hey Gang:  I love the little words of the Bible.  I tend to think of them as trigger words- when one appears, we need to take heed of a very important truth will follow. Notice, the Scripture of the morning begins with the trigger word 'if'.  “'If' anyone wishes to come after Me, He must!’   We might call that a covenant.  An old country preacher, Pastor Mumford, often said, “When you come to a 'therefore' in the Word, you need to stop until you understand what it is ‘there for’.

Let’s look at an example of the very small word “if” being a gigantic trigger word in a very important truth.  In Colossians three we find Paul’s formula about how to change from the old to the new.  He gives us a four step process: first we must die to the old man in us, "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God" verse 3.

Second, we must “put off” those things that are offensive to God, that grieve the Holy Spirit (Vs. 5b-8). Third, we must fill the vacuum that is created when we dump the old by “putting on” those things that bring honor to our Father (vs. 12). 

And lastly comes the really tough part of the equation, we must "“Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts” (vs. 15-16).  John addressed this very point when he wrote "Peace I leave with you;  My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Do not let your heart be troubled nor let it be fearful" (John 14:27).

We have used this formula in many of our workshops and there is always one or more of the participants who tell us they tried, but it just does not work in their home.  I then remind them there is a prerequisite that begins with a trigger word that places Paul's plan into action.  Notice verse one begins with two trigger words, "Therefore, ‘If’  you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God”.  And how does one do that?   Read on:  by “…setting your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth”.  (Vs 2).

And how do we do that?  Paul instructs us on the "how's" In Romans 12:1-2; here he admonishes us with a challenge, "Therefore, I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living an holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind"

Soooo, my friends and neighbors, I challenge you, as you peruse the Scriptures, highlight those neat and wonderful trigger words that put God's plan into action.  One of my very favorite is John's words in 15:10-11; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.  These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full".

Is your heart filed with God's joy?  Does your face know it?  Do you want your witness to be a "Beacon Light of encouragement to all you meet?  John said, "If' you abide in Me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you".   This is my prayer- that His joy will be made full in you this morning.

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment