Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Seed Planting Made Real!


"Do not judge, and you will not be judged, and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned, pardon, and you will be pardoned.  Give, and it will be given to you.  They will pour into your lap a good measure - pressed down, shaken together and running over.  For by your standard of measure it will be measured you in return".  Luke 6:37-38).

 Hey Gang:  Lesson one, to every young person who crossed my path, began with a very basic principle: "We are going to reap what we sow". (Gal. 6:7).  It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, it works every time.   The reason I have a deep compulsion to alert the troops to this principle is that I learned the hard way. It is a principle set in concrete and I have many examples tucked away in my life that proved this principle so I could teach it with a great deal of gusto.

I believe Luke was driving home a point that we all need to understand: We have much to do with the harvest of our lives.  Keep in mind, we are not harvesters but planters only.  However, Luke tells me I will receive in the same measure that I give, that I pardon (forgive), and in the same measure that I love, even those folks that tend to tick me off. 

In the last morning message I mentioned two boys who impacted on my life greatly.  Two boys that had a common denominator- their lives were a mess, and they had committed sufficient crimes to be placed in a facility where their lives were totally controlled, even to the point of when they went to the rest room.    Ted was considered dangerous enough to staff and other residents, that he had to be locked away in the isolation cells in another part of the building.

He had been with us for several weeks and was scheduled for pick up and be transported to a juvenile prison down state.  My job on this, his last night with us, was to check him every half hour and make sure he was okay, and provide for his needs.   His room was secured with a cage inside of a room and a slot in the door where I could push his food through and provide for those needs that he was permitted to have, which on this occasion was 'zip'.  

On the first six visits he greeted me with a string of expletives that turned the entire hallway blue; but on the seventh trip, I found him sitting in the corner of the cell with what appeared to be a young man in deep thought, and no expletives.   On the next round I found him sitting in the same corner with the same deep-in-thought look. 

At that point I asked him if he was okay and if I could help him.  We used to have a saying in the detention home that we could tell how tough a kid was by how many hours he cried himself to sleep at night.  I saw no overt tears, but I believe I did see Ted cry that might, perhaps not outside tears but I sensed he was crying inside.  In a calm voice he said, "Mr. H. could you get me something to read?”

Keep in mind this sixteen year old, 200 pound, very good-looking young man had never been to a church in his life.  I asked him one night if anyone had ever talked to him about Jesus and his response was an emphatic, "NO".  I then asked him if he ever felt pangs of guilt when he was involved in one of his crime sprees; I was amazed with his answer, “Yes, sometimes I even cried.”  He said, “I often felt like someone or something was telling me it was wrong.

The only reading material I had available to give him was a Gideon Bible.  On my final check of the night I found Ted sitting in that same spot in the corner reading the Bible.  That night, in a cold cell he gave his life to Jesus and a profound change came into his life.  And that is a story in itself that I will share at a future date.

Soooo, what is the nuts of bolts of this morning message, Luke wrapped it up in seven wonderful words, "Give and it will be given to you".   John wrote, "For God so loved He Gave".   Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the Good News”, and ‘Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so’.  SOOO, Why Eagle Village? Because Jesus loves me and I want every child,that brings their baggage of pain and agony to my door step to know that.   I want them to know there is a Savior who loves them, and died in their place so that one day all the hurts will be gone and they will run and leap and praise God in that place called "Paradise."

I pray you will join with me and pray for each of the more than one hundred children who are at Eagle Village today, because God provided for all the wildernesses we experienced as we followed His commission to "Go and build a refuge for hurting children".

Blessings,


Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment