Friday, January 16, 2015

Wealth, Wealth, Everywhere - Part 3


"For I will pour out water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring and My blessing on your descendants and they will spring up like grass Like poplars by streams of water." (Isa. 44:3-4). "Behold, Children are a gift from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward....How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them" (Psa. 127:3/5). 

Hey Gang:  How many know we need a crash course, on across our land, these two verses; at least among all who are getting hitched.   For those who know about me, you know I have spent most of my life working with children who are struggling with the empty-cavity syndrome; this should be filled with a Mom or Dad, but some have demonstrated that caring for you is just too much of a hassle and restricts my freedoms. 

When I graduated from college I fully intended on continuing my education in California to prepare for a career in criminology.  I do not have a clue why I choose this field because I was totally ill-equipped to work in any field that required understanding in science and physics.  God knew that.  He knew my DNA was far better equipped to work on the other side of criminology called "throwing out a life line to kids who were floundering." 

With four youngsters under the age of six, I had no choice: I had to get a job, and get it fast.  It did not appear that I was going to be able to attend college until I salted away enough bread to pay the bills. So I was seeking job opportunities that was within my career field where I could get a lesson in application.  That led me to a Juvenile Detention Center that just happened to be looking for someone who could start – that day.

They were very kind and assured me I would receive training ‘before being throw to the wolves’.  So, they scheduled me for an observation shift that night and gave me all the tools I would need - a set of keys.  I could fill ten or twelve morning messages with my first experiences as a counselor in a detention center in the hard core section, meaning you had to be a class-one felon to gain entry to that section.  There was no question in my mind this was where God wanted to train me in the finer points of ‘throwing out lifelines’.

When I walked in the section the next day, having completed my required training program the previous night, I was confronted by fifty hostile young men who were not fond of counselors, who had control of their lives and were quick to let me know it.  I knew if God placed me there, He would provide a safety net for me.  On my first shift God put words in my mouth that would provide the basis for the education that was to follow.  Two fairly good-sized lads decided they did not like each other demonstrated their distain by beating on each other.

Now as I think back I must admit I do not have a clue why I did what I did! I stepped between the two lads and suggested there might be a less painful way to resolve what was bugging them.  One of the lads said, "Whatcha gunna do man?”  Good question!   I did not have a clue what I was ‘gunna do’.

Now, I also do not have a clue where my response to that question came from, (well I really know it came from above).  I said, "I don't have a clue what I am gunna do because you have not taught me what I should do that will help you fix your life and get out of here.”  As I recall, I am not sure who was the most shocked, my co worker, the kids, or yours truly.

Soooo, To make the very long story very short - THEY DID.  The fight stopped and we pow-wowed for an hour or so, in which most of the young men entered into the discussion and my education began.  I will close this now but in a later Blog will share the stories of two young men, of the thousands of kids who went through my section while there.

Blessings,

Gramps



No comments:

Post a Comment