Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Kick the Tar Out of Satan: Be An OverComer!

 “So faith comes from hearing and hearing by the Word of Christ”   (Romans 10:17).   

Hey gang:  Have you ever had a bull’s eye on your back that the local macho club members of the community accepted as a challenge?  There were no signs that said, “Let’s beat the tar out of Kermit, but one did not have to be a rocket scientist to know it was there.

As I think back to those days at Fairview Elementary School, I can see why I was singled out to be the target of this particular group of bullies.  I had just moved into the city from the mountains, I had buck teeth and wore brogans and knickers, I talked like a hillbilly and my name was Kermit.  Now, I realize most of you do not know what brogans and knickers are and it would take too long to describe them, so let’s just say they did made me stick out like the proverbial ‘sore thumb’. 

But I want you to know I believe I was in training for what God was going to do through me.  I believe every one of those challenges were preparation for the day I would run into a youngster that was going through that same kind of experience.  I learned that the greatest gift I could give to a person, who was really hurting, was to share that I too, had been down that road and God’s promise, that He would supply for all of my needs, was right there waiting for them to trust Him.

Now, I want to share a secret with you folks who try to hide those experiences that do not rate high on the positive chart; the kids taught me, in my forty-five plus years of hand to hand combat with kids who did not have it together, that they would far rather hear someone share the good news - that you can be an overcomer from the experiences with the alligators.  My favorite saying to those who were really struggling was, and remains today, "Been there and done that – you, too, can be an overcomer!”

I loved to see the change in their faces, many with question, “Really, Mr. H.?”  There is something very special about finding someone who has survived that same "back against the wall" experience that I am going through. 

I have been having a terrible time with my tractor.  I believe God gave it to me to teach me patience.  Last spring the tractor would run for ten minutes and stop, run five minutes and stop.  I cleaned the lines; blew them out.  The tractor continued to punch thorns into my flesh.  I talked with every mechanic I could find - nothing worked.  One day I ended up at an automotive supply to purchase a cleaning fluid for the gas tank and there was a old gent, who heard my story and said, "It takes two washes to wash the rust out”; he also said that sitting through the winter could be the best cure.  And it was!

Soooo, you see folks, you each have unique experiences- victories and failures - in your lives that others are going through and need to hear people have lived through them and even been successful in overcoming. That is God's way - put your arms around the hurting person and  pound home the point, "My God will provide for all your needs" (Phil. 4:19) and You can be an overcomer through Him who strengthens us, (Phil. 4:13). 

Don't forget to check out grampswhatshappeningman.blogspot.com

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment