Friday, May 1, 2015

Blog Anniversary # 4

This blog was started on May 6,2011.  It started as emails of encouragement for our grandchildren for several years.  They added friends and so did we.  Then we began hearing, "Why don't you write a blog.  Our response, "What is that?"  A friend and our computer advisor set this up, posted the blogs which Gramps wrote for several months, until these 'older that dirt' people learned the ropes!

We trust you continue to be blessed. Gramps and Gma 

Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Better To Obey Than To Sacrifice



“Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord?  Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams.” (I Sam. 15:22-23).   No don’t stop, read on “For rebellion is as the sins of divination,  And insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry.”  
  
And Samuel did not stop here either – he went on and said “Because you have rejected the words of the Lord, He (God) has also rejected you from being king.” (Verse 23b).  Saul was given his marching orders that he should go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he had”.  (15:3). 
But Saul had a better idea than the Lord’s; “For the people spared the best of the sheep and oxen, to sacrifice to the Lord your God; but the rest we have utterly destroyed”.   (15:15).

Ouch!  Been there and done that – and paid the piper big time.  Okay, I confess, in the early days of the village I made far more disobedient than obedient decisions.  I had a good excuse, I was far to busy to take time to get my marching orders from the Lord and as Isaiah says in his 53rd chapter – I went my own way far too many times. 

Now I know I am preaching to the choir and no one out there would make the gross mistakes that I made but you might want to read the 15th chapter of  I Samuel and be prepared to help one of us slow learners to learn God does get upset with those who feel to sacrifice and do good works is number one in God’s hip parade and grace is some lady down the street.      

Notice verse 26 “  But Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you; for you have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord had rejected you”.  What a horrendous price Saul paid for his disobedience.

So, my friends in Saul we have an example of the "Head and shoulders" man.  In the eyes of the world he was a choice and handsome man, from his shoulders and up he was taller than any of the people but in God's eyes he was "wanting."  He did not do what the Lord commanded. 

Blessings,

Gramps 

Many knew our interest in prophecy and asked for a blog relating things happening in the world as related to Scripture: This is the 3rd week for grampswhatshappeningman.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment