Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Can It Happen Here?


"I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it: but I found no one" (Ezek.22:30).

Hey Gang:  "Overcome by the darkness, this young Grant High School student decided she would end her life at the end of the school day."  A story repeated far too often in this nation of affluence.  I recently read the results of the study done by the Barna Research Group that gave a report on the religious leaning of the millennial generation, a report that went far beyond the frightening, to the absolute terrifying. 

I wish I could say I disagree with the results of their studies but after fifty years of working with troubled young people I can only nod in agreement.  And I do so with a sad heart.  While working in a detention home in California with hard core young men I did a survey of my own. One of the questions I asked more than a thousand young people was, “Have you even considered trying a different path than you have chosen for yourself.”    I will never forget the blank stares that I received back, when I ask that question.

My follow up question was always received with a hint of hope in their eyes: “If there was another way, would you take it?”  The next question often brought tears to some very hard eyes that just did not allow tears to be part of their emotions.   Next question, “If I could give you one thing that would fill your heart with happiness, contentment and joy, what would it be?”  The answers were nearly often unanimous - to have my mom and dad and my brothers and sisters together in a home that was free of anger and pain.

I do not know the circumstances that lead this young Grant High School student to make a horrendous decision that she could not longer bare to live in this world, but, as she reached the end of the school day and was about the grisly task of ending her life, she took a detour and went to an on-campus Christian Club. There she heard the story of a Savior that was being taught to 150 other Grant High School students.     

After hearing the stirring message, and I emphasize the word 'stirring', she ran to the front weeping and ask the one who presented the story of Jesus to pray for her.   Alan, the teacher, shares God’s message and the Gospel each week through Campus Christian clubs and reaches about 2,500 hundred student at 15 schools in the Los Angeles area.  He said, “Kids have been saved from drugs, violence, sexual sin and the biggest of all defeat mechanism of the evil one - hopelessness.

When asked how this began, Alan related the following story: "A watershed moment came when opposing gangs put down their weapons and met each other in the gym for prayer, along with 400 other students who had gathered to hear a heart -felt and compelling message.  The Holy Spirit came into the room and the kids just broke down weeping.”
He said it was absolutely nuts.  "I've never seen anything like this before in my life; it was 'out of sight' to see so many kids responding to Jesus.”   

Sooo, as I read this story, and confess I have read it many times for it is a desire of my heart to see such a thing happen here in my community, I asked myself, “Can it happen here.”  Yes, no question.  But are there people who will commit to vowing, "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send and who will go for Us?"  Then I said, "Here am I, Send Me" (Isa, 6:8).  How about you, are you ready to stand in the gap for the young people in your neighborhood?  Are you ready to do something really significant for the Lord?    Can I put you down as a warrior who is ready to "Stand in the gap for Jesus?


Blessings, 

Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment