Monday, October 19, 2015

Have You Considered Ducks?


“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
Hey Gang:  I ran into this neat little ditty that I thought you might enjoy.  It seems that a gent rented a cottage with a large light and airy cellar.  It was blessed to have a stream run by and an abundance of beautiful shade trees surrounded the house.  For five years he enjoyed the many advantages of the place and gladly paid the modest rent the landlord required.

He swam and fished in the brook, and rested under the beautiful shade trees. (I have been looking for a place like that for years)  The one day the stream overflowed its banks.  The basement was flooded, and a dozen chickens, he had kept there, were all downed.

Suddenly he forgot the past blessings and pleasures he had enjoyed.   All was gloom because of the temporary misfortune.  So he rushed off to the landlord. “I’ve come to notify you that I’m moving out,” he said.  Surprised, the land Lord asked, “But why?  I thought you’ve been happy here these past five years.” 

“Yes,” replied the tenant, “but it’s different now; the river overflowed and all my hens are downed.”  The landlord’s answer completely disarmed the grumbler.  He said, “Next time. Why don’t you try ducks!”

Amusing? Yes, but is there not a story tucked away in this lesson?  Five years of enjoyment forgotten because of a few drowned hens!   It reminded me of a stage play that we have seen titled Joshua for President.  The interviewer learned that Joshua’s young daughter had been killed when a careless driver over ran their horse cart and asked him how come he was not bitter against God for that.

He responded “Oh, I surely had thoughts about that, but then I reviewed all of the things that God has done for me in my lifetime.  When I remembered all of the blessings He has given to me and my bride, even the daughter who we loved and enjoyed this past eight years but lost.  How could I blame Him for this tragic event in my life?”

Have you had recent disappointments?   Have you been afflicted with a lingering illness, of suffered the loss of a family member or loved one?  Is there something lingering in your mind that holds you in bondage?  Have you put the former blessings that God has given you on the back burner and placed your attention of the blackness that you are suffering?  Jesus had an antidote for that: “Be of good cheer I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

When asked how he could forgive the driver who killed his daughter and the injuries to others in his family Josiah’s answer was one that does not compute in the hearts of many folks today, He said, “I made a decision that bitterness would block my relationship with my Lord.  It was an ‘act of my will’ that I would not allow the cancer of bitterness to eat at my heart, soul and mind.’ 

Soooo, my friends we live in a time when bitterness and unforgiveness have become a way of life for many people.  We are in the period of time when we are being “blitz-creeked with political junkism”; many are looking, not at the positives of a person’s life, but that one thing that can be used to destroy their integrity and credibility.   We no longer have the desire to lay down our swords and pick up plow shares and work together for making this a better world in which to live. 

Jesus, when teaching His disciples how to pray, closed with these words, “…for if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions” (Matt. 6:14-15). Keep in mind, the same measure that you forgive others, God will forgive you!

Blessings,
NOTE:  New post on grampswhatshappeningman.blogspot.com Tues Oct 20

Gramps



Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment