Monday, October 26, 2015

Not My WIll, Lord!

 “For you have need of endurance so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.  For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay” (Hebrews 10:36:37).

Hey Gang:  I have heard it said that money is not everything, it just buys everything!  To that I say “balderdash!”.  When I graduated from college I thought my next step to fame was to get a Master’s degree- more head knowledge so that I could climb the ladder of what society determined was success.  

That was my idea, but God had a vastly different plan in mind; His intention was to increase my head knowledge- but He had a vastly different agenda for completing that task then I had.

At that point in my life I had a far different set of agendas than climbing the ladder of success - their names - Michael, Cathey, Marjorie and David.  Increased head knowledge was on the list, but the priorities that topped the list were food, shelter, and all the necessary things needed to provide for my family

As you might guess, the top rung on the list was “find a job – immediately, if not sooner.   I learned there was a need for counselors at the local detention facility and immediately applied for a job.  I completed my paper work in the morning that day, was interviewed in the afternoon and assigned to an observation shift that night.  On the following day I was given a set of keys and assigned to South Side, the areas of the detention facility that housed those who had committed class one felonies.  And my education began!

It did not take me long to come to the realization that I did not want to spend the rest of my life as a counselor in a juvenile detention home, but as I think back on that experience today I realize God had placed me in a ‘school of higher learning’ preparing me for what He had in mind for me at the end of that apprenticeship. 
 
Now most folks would agree that my professors were anything but qualified to be educators.  There was Teddy - rip off artist; Tommy and John - experts in breaking entering; a few car thief’s along the way; and even a murderer or two mixed in.  In the next three years I learned far more about human relationships and the deep hurts and frustrations of those who entered my section.

 They taught me that they were more than numbers on a case file, and the thing they wanted most was a Mom and Dad who lived together with them in a home filled with love and commitment to each other. They taught me the mundane things that were important to them but I learned the one thing that would break a hole in the shell that they had built up around them was my attention mixed in with an “I understand and forgive” passion.  

Soooo, after several career moves and changes of venue I adopted a motto for my life “Don’t Get Too Comfortable For You May Block What God Has in Mind For You!”  To that I would add: “No matter how mundane you may think your job, or even your life is, remember God is not finished with you yet. When the day comes that you stand before God to give an account of what you did with His Son Jesus, His interest will not be how much money you had in the bank or how high you climbed on the corporate ladder.  Jesus said “There is no great love than to lay down your life for another.

Blessings,  
**** New Post Tues Oct 27th on Grampswhatshappeningman.blogspot.com

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment