Wednesday, October 21, 2015

In Total Control a 39Pounds, YUK, Not God's Design

God’s Power Principle for Today: “My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother; Bind them continually on your heart; Tie them around your neck” (Proverbs 6:20).

Hey Gang:  Remember the little squeezer that was a speeding bullet in the super market, running to hide from his mom -until the meat cutter came out of the freezer with full gear on including a face mask.  One could hear the squeal when he applied his brakes and reversed course to find mom.  The next time I saw him he was securely vice-gripped to his mom. 

I bring up that story again because I was privileged to see a repeat performance of a 39 pounder wrapping his mother around his chubby little paws.  A different mom and child,  a different supermarket in a different city, but the same results.

The screams came from three lanes over- in the snack food aisle.  You know the one where the potato chips, cookies, pretzels and candy are stacked to entice you to blow your diet. By the times I got there Dennis had extricated himself from the shopping cart and was standing up where he had full freedom to use his lungs to make his point.

 With angry tears streaming out of squinty eyes, the command was clear and very loud - “Gimme it!”  Mom looked my way, and with embarrassment and a haggard, worn down look, gave into the tyrant in her shopping cart and handed him a ten pound (maybe exaggerated) Baby Ruth Candy bar. 

I think God taped me on the shoulder and said, “Do you remember that kid?  You should because he looks a lot like you”.  There have been many times when I have said to God, Why can’t I have it?”  And there are times when He gave me what I wanted, not because I wore Him down but rather to teach me a lesson I needed to learn.

Arthur Ashe paraphrased James 1:5 to his daughter when he said, “Ask God for the wisdom to know what is right, what God wants done, and the will to do it”.  That is the kind of sincere prayer that God wants to hear from His children.  If God doesn’t give us what we ask for, we can be sure that He has something far better for us.

Soooo, be careful when you are in a “gimmie” mode; some answered prayers turnout to be a trip through the wilderness.  During my working years as President of Eagle Village, a treatment center for children with behavior problems, I often wanted to have a card printed for such occasions mentioned above.  A card I could give to frazzled mothers -for that day when the 39-pounder suddenly becomes a 180-pounder who wants the family car rather than the 10 pound Baby Ruth Bar!

Blessings,

Gramps



Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment