Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Bag of Miracles


“For as the rain and the snow come down from haven, and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:10-11).

Hey Gang:  I wonder how many times in my forty-plus years of seed-planting that I have claimed that promise from Abba Father.  This morning I was putting things away in the garage and noticed a bag hanging from a nail on the wall.  A quick examination determined it was grass seed that I purchased last summer to repair and cover several places in the lawn.

I have no idea how many times I walked over and said, ”I got to get that seed planted in the ground.” But…!  I have been reading a book written by an Amish man about some of the experiences of his life.  It is really good stuff and has a moral tucked away in the heart of each one.  In this story he told of a shed he was building to house his tools and it was getting nigh onto snow time so, getting about it was of the essence. But.. (there is that word again) he had neglected to go and get a building permit for the project. 

Well, as mentioned, time was of the essence and he did have help and all the supplies needed to put the footings, down, so he made the decision to go ahead and put the footings down.  About half way through the project a state car turned up his driveway and he knew he was in trouble- for he had not taken the time to go and get a building permit. 

He said he just did not have time to go and get the permit, to which the inspector said, “You had time to clear the land, dig the pit for the footings, purchase all the supplies to complete the project and you did not have time to get a permit?  To which the Amish man sheepishly confessed the error of his ways.  It was kind of like that grass seed hanging in my garage, I said I did not have time but truth was “I just did not take time”. 

Well, I am sure you have figured out there is a moral to this story.  I believe one of the most important  words in the Bible is the word ‘measure’   Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount said, “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you” (Matt. 7:1-2).  In 2 Corinthians 2:10 we read “But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also”.

But there is an equally important measure in Luke 6:38 where we are told that we are to “Give first, and it will be given to you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over.  For by your stand of measure it will be measured to you in return”.  Is God saying that we have much to say about the harvest by our willingness to be obedient to His word?  Yes, that is precisely what I believe He is saying.

Getting back to the Amish man and the inspector:  after a few words of reprimand the inspector went to his car and after a short period of time returned to the Amish man with a paper in hand. He handed it to the Amish man and turned and left.  As he was leaving he warned the Amish man to be careful and take the time today to fill file out the form.  The paper was not a reprimand or fine for his neglect, but a form needed to apply for a building permit.

The snow is coming down and will add to the eight or so inches we have already so it appears the grass seed will hang in the garage for a while longer. But… I have made a promise to myself, as soon as the ground is thawed and warm, I will plant those seeds. 

One last word before I sign off on this epistle.  There are very few days that pass when God does not bring us into contact with someone who is hurting and needs someone to come along side them.  You can leave them hanging, like that grass seed in my garage, or allow God to work through you to bring hope to that hurting soul.  And it feels so good when you see the new green grass!

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment