Friday, February 12, 2016

Yes, Jesus In Me Can!

“Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?”  (1 Cor. 6:14).

Hey Gang:  I am so sad that the children of our land have been denied God’s wonderful joys, the joy of anticipation, the joy of that moment when the groom stands at the altar and sees his bride standing in her gown of silk and satin.  Is there words that can describe the awesomeness of that moment knowing that soon she will be united to me as my bride? - That we will unite our hearts and body with the Holy Spirit in a “strand of three that cannot be broken”  (Ecc. 4:9-12).

How sad that God, in His perfection, who loved us so much that He promised us He would give us the desires of our heart.  Yet, most young lasses do not even have their hope chest,  for that day when the knight in shining armor that God prepared for her rides into her life on a great white stallion and sweeps her off her feet. 

I feel so sad that so many of our young have chosen the ways of the world and will never realize the true beauty and wonder of standing before our heavenly Father and family and friends and saying, “Yes, I do, I lay down my life sacrificially for that God prepared person, until death do us part.   I commit my all to you in covenant love for there is no greater gift that I can give than a pledge, a solemn vow that at this very moment, before God that I lay down my life for you.”

How sad that our young people are robbed of the anticipation of waiting for that moment at the altar.  Solomon had such a moment when he saw his Shulammite bride, “How beautiful you are, my darling,…You have made my heart beat faster, my sister, my bride; You have made my heart beat faster with a single glance of your eyes, with a single strand of our necklace”. 

Fifty-eight plus years have passed since I met my bride at the altar and heard her father say, “I now pronounce, to God and to the world, that you are husband and wife – let nothing but death separate you.”

I have relived that moment, when I saw my bride for the first time in her wedding gown, a zillion times and, as I grow older, it has become even more warm and comforting.  Was there never a times in the fifty-eight years when divorce was considered or even given thought?  No. We made a vow at our wedding that there would never be a divorce in our relationship.

Were there times when the rubber-hit-the road and the alligators were trying to nip at our relationship?  Yes, yes and more yes.  Satan has always been lurking in the shadows awaiting a more opportune time to drive wedges into our love for each other.  When two people are put together, in the closeness of a marriage relationship, there will be differences of opinion.  

Each must decide what is more important, the alligators or the relationship.   We made a vow in the early beginning that our marriage would not be a fifty-fifty relationship, but a ninety nine – one relationship. 

Well I did not mean this to be a sermon on the perfect marriage; our pastor has been preaching a series of messages titled “The Waiting Games”.  In one of the messages he focused on Jesus warning to not be “Unequally yoked together”.  The Pastor’s warning was- if you feel that through your witness your unsaved mate will find the Lord, be advised this has proven to work far more in the opposite direction.  The believer usually gets caught up in the life style of the unbeliever.

I confess that my bride violated this mandate from the Lord for when she consented to marry me, for I had head knowledge but no heart knowledge; that came years later.  I pray all who read this epistle will be equally yoked and on fire for the Lord.  We are in that Valentine season designed and promoted by Hallmark.  It is neat to send a card that says, “I care and even love you” but keep in mind where that card goes.  Daily action and words and on-going contact and prayer for them is more effective.

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment