Wednesday, February 3, 2016

An Old Barn or A New Temple?



“Behold, I will do something new, now it springs forth; Will you be aware of it?  (Isaiah 43:19).  “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, He is a new creature; the old things are passed away; behold new things come” (2 Cor. 5:17).

Hey Gang:  The bride of my youth brought this story, found in a 2005 Guidepost, to my attention:

     “Above my desk at home is a picture of a hundred-year-old South Dakota grain elevator.  It was sent to me by a friend whose father-in-law moved it to this property and worked for more than thirty years to turn it into a beautiful home.  It’s an amazing place that sleeps ten, has a dining car, and a third-floor soda fountain complete with counter, spinning stools and authentic fixtures.”

 As I read that story it brought back memories, I might add not such pleasant memories, of my senior high school days when we had terrible sports teams.  Not only were we lousy in basketball, baseball, soccer, but especially lousy in football.  In my last year we went 0 and 11 and every game was a blow out.  The town fathers, who happened to have several state championships to their credit, decided to take the bull by the horns and announced there would be a radical change in the athletic programs.

They had determined that the problem was not a lack of talent, but an attitude problem.  It was determined that the teams lacked discipline, work ethics and a desire to be winners.  In essence they just did not give a hoot if they won or lost.  Well, step one was to find a coach who would rectify the attitude problem.  Without a will to win, there was a definite lack of discipline to win.

The new coach, who just happened to be a vet who had served in the Marine Corp in WWII and was a combat veteran, was hired; and on being hired announced to the world there would be a change!  He listed the new criteria that would qualify each player for the football team -which was a radical change from the previous coach.   

On the day the candidates were to report to the athletic field to try out for the team, most of the previous players were conspicuous by their absence.   After much recruiting, enough players were found to make a team.  (Keep in mind, in those days players played offense and defense).  We did not do well that year but, by mid-season, we were gaining and even more competitive; and, miracle of all miracles, won our last game.

Getting back to the Guidepost story, I can identify with rest of the story:
      “My friend sent me the picture in response to the anxiety he heard me expressing over the change and uncertainty that came into my life this past year.  He said, ‘Imagine you are that old elevator.  You’ve had a good life of service holding grain for years.  Then along comes this guy with saws, nails, paint and sandpaper, and plans to make big changes.  I bet you’d want to say, “Leave me alone!  That hurts! I want to be what I am, not what you want me to be.”  Now guess who the carpenter is in your life?’”

     I thank God daily that Jesus is the carpenter of my life.   I know He has dreams for me I can’t even imagine, but they require some changes in me before He can fulfill them.  I’m not nearly as useful to Him without the transformation, the “new thing” He wants to do.  But the tough part is, unlike the grain elevator, I have a choice!  And He’s waiting for me to say, 'yes'!"

I suspect most of you who are reading this epistle this morning now who that carpenter is.  But are you willing to put yourself on the carpenter’s bench and let the master carpenter design you into a piece that is even more effective for Him?  Have you prayed recently and asked the Lord to help you see the changes in life as part of Your master design?  I am 82 years of age and I pray daily that God is not finished molding and making me into the image of His Son, Yeshua.  Praise God. He ain’t finished with me yet!

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment