Monday, April 11, 2016

I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked!!













“But thanks be to God who gives us the But "Thanks be to God who gives victory through our Lord Jesus Christ, Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding n the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord” (I Cor. 15:57-58)

Hey gang:  As I have become more mature (older to you city folks) many things that used to be important are no longer important.  And most things that are important to me seem to have lost their importance in many folks lives.   Joy has taken on a different meaning.   I love to see my grands and great grands exceeding in things in their young lives, but my real joy is just being with them and watching them grow.

I had the privilege of returning to the U.S Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio with part of my family.  I wish we lived closer and that I could volunteer there a couple days a month.  As I was walking among all the relics of the past and reading of the many battles that were won to protect our nation, I sensed in my heart that I was in a sanctuary. 

For me there is a reverence to walking among the hundreds of retired aircraft that served their country well.  Out in the garden that surrounds the museum is very a special place; several years ago it became even more special, even sacred to me, when a memorial bench was placed in the garden commemorating, but now in memorial, my brother’s graduating class from pilot training.  He is gone now, as is most of his class, many having given their lives in combat.

I have felt this same “awe” at another place that I have been privileged to visit.  In my several trips to Israel there are those places that bring the hair up on my neck.  I remember the first time I looked at the mountain where I could see a perfect picture of a skull, the place where many feel our Lord was crucified, and my first trip to what many believe was the tomb where Jesus was placed on that fateful night.

 It really does not matter whether either site is correct, what is important: “For God so loved you and me that He gave His Son to come and take our sins to the cross and prepare way for salvation.   And equally important is the truth that the tomb was and is empty!!!

I was excited to return to the Air Force Museum.  It was like revisiting some old friends.  There was the F-51 fighter, the one that helped win the war in Europe and the P38 that was the key to success in the war against Japan.  There was the Boeing 707, the first airliner jet that I worked as a radar controller. 

But there is also a greater excitement in growing in my heart and soul today; we have made our reservations to return to Israel and celebrate early our sixtieth wedding anniversary.  Wow, does that warm the cockles of my heart.  We will return to Ir Ovot, now known as Biblical Tamar Park;  we will get our hands dirty  in Israeli soil, once again.  We will revisit the Garden, where the battle of the cross was won, and walk the shores of the Sea of Galilee. 

Some feel we are foolish to go to a place where violence is a way of life and I agree, for we have to go through Chicago and New York.  But when the air craft landing gear touches the ground a peace that surpasses human understanding fills our hearts, we are home.  And from that moment on there is a deeper understanding of the Scriptures that comes alive in the depths of your heart.

We have been to Israel with many people and there is a common agreement among them all, it changes and deepens your relationship with Jesus.  There is still room, come along and see for yourself.  If interested, let me know and I will send you a trip description.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment