Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Are God's Principles Etched on the Frontals Of Your Forehead?



You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.  You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” (“and in your hearts and in your witness” Hainley addition).

Hey Gang, About a hundred or so years ago when a ‘chip’ became more than a tiny device that we can store data on, when the electronic age really began to spew out new devices, my management staff, which consisted of two people, came to me and suggested I purchase a device whereby they could contact me at any time. (I spent a lot of time in Lansing and more speaking to groups raising funds.) 

I thought about it for a minute or two and then informed them when they see me with such a device in hand, know that I have lost confidence in your decision making abilities!  At that time I was a member of a group of agency directors who met monthly to discuss the many maladies that needed to be addressed, pertaining to the child care industry, and I noticed that there was  a steady flow of directors in and out of the meeting answering calls from their agencies.

Now there are those (probably the majority of folks today) who would say I was very naïve in those days and did not want to join the ‘ever getting smarter generation.’  But such was not the case.  I learned, in my years as super eagle of the Village, that making my subordinates make decisions made them good junior executives.

Does that mean they made good decisions every time?  Probably not any less or any more than I made good or bad decisions in my tenure of leadership.  But it did provide a wonderful teaching platform when reviewing some decisions that could have been made with better outcomes.   Was there a down size to this practice? 

Yes, I was in a constant teaching mode- replacing those who had learned how to make good decisions and were good leaders- these leaders were constantly being offered positons in other agencies or moving up in the ladder. 

Once a month I make myself isolate myself and pay the monthly bills and reconcile the check book.  On one particular night I was having a problem making my bottom line agree with the banks bottom line.  In the mist of the ‘agony and pain’ process the question suddenly popped into my mind “Are more concerned with your own financial legacy and what you are going to pass down to your kids? Or are you concerned more about your spiritual legacy?”

Gramps Morning Thoughts grew out of the conversation.   It was my intention, when I wrote that first blog, to encourage my kids spiritually and challenge them to make sure they are passing their spiritual legacy down to their kids.   That was five years ago and more than 900 Morning Messages ago.

My question to you this morning, “Are you passing your spiritual legacy down to your children, your grands and your great grands?   I close with this confession to you not receive texts, face books, twitters or insta-gram messages from me.  I do not have a smart phone and would not know how to operate it if I did.  When my staff decided it was my time to join the computer age, I did not have clue how to turn it on.  I am a firm believer that to tell someone that you love them to their face, is so much more powerful than sending a message saying “I love you”.

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment