Friday, August 26, 2016

Bargain Basement - and I mean Sub Terrane Basement Sale


“O love the Lord, all you His godly ones! The Lord preservers the faithful and fully recompenses the proud doer.  Be strong and let our heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord” (Psa. 31:23-24).

Hey Gang: It was advertised that the devil was going to put his tools up for sale.  On the date of the sale the tools were placed for public inspection, each being marked with its sale price.  There was a treacherous lot of implements- hatred, envy, jealousy, doubt, lying, pride and so on.  But there was one that was set aside from the rest. It was a harmless looking tool, very well worn and priced very high.

“What is the name of that tool?” Asked one of the bidders.  “Oh,” said the adversary, “that is “discouragement”.  “Why is it priced so high”?” asked the bidder.  “Because it is the most powerful tool in my toolbox” was his reply.

“I can pry open and get inside a person’s heart with that one, when all others fail.  Now, once I get inside, I can make him do what I choose.  It’s a badly worn tool, because I use it on almost everyone, since few people know it belongs to me.” 

The devil’s price for discouragement was so high, he never found a bidder who was willing to pay his price.  It remains, even this day, as his major tool and has found growing in effectiveness now that “Everything that can be shaken is being shaken.”

Have you ever been discouraged?  Perhaps I should ask, “Are you dealing with discouragement in your life today.”  In my tenure as exalted ruler of the Village with two hundred young folks who had a habit of making bad decisions, herding a staff of more than one hundred employees, and keeping them from being discouraged and making sure there were sufficient vittles in the pantry to feed the multitude, I often found myself dealing with discouragement.

Over the years I learned it was essential for my spiritual life that I, too, have a tool box filled with God’s antidotes against the poison of discouragement.  The first tool from the Master Tool Maker is God’s Word.  Throughout the Word we find the “I will” promises of God.  Tool one is to know we have the assurance that God gave His only begotten Son to come to earth and walk in my shoes, and offer His life,  to save me from the penalty of my sins.  I must make sure that I know Him intimately, not just to know about Him. 

The second tool is the assurances I have as a believer in Christ Jesus.   I have placed Deuteronomy 31:6  Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he [it is] that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee’, and Hebrews 13;5 “For He has said, “I will never leave you or forsake you”.   

My third antidote against Satan’s dart of discouragement is found in Isaiah 41:10: “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you.  Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”  Wow, is it not awesome to know, without doubt, that the Creator of this universe takes the time to be with His children and never, never forsake them?

There are many verses spread throughout God’s Word that give me those same assurances, but I must be connected to His power supply.  We might want to rephrase Isaiah 41:10:“I do not fear for You are with me.  I am not anxious for you are my God.  I praise you Lord for the promise that you will be there when I need help and that you will up hold me with your mighty right hand”. 

I close this epistle with a challenge from the depth of my heart.  There is so much I would like to say to you from my sojourn on this earth with God, and even before when outside of His grace, but three pages a week does not give one much time to share what is truly in my heart.

I challenge you to diligently get into God’s Word, even if you have to get up fifteen minutes earlier each day and be in continual prayer.  It is not good sense to jeopardize others by talking on our cell phones when driving, but there is no law that says “We cannot talk to God”.

Blessings,


Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment