Monday, August 22, 2016

Change! An Act of the Will!


“And in them you once walked, when you were living in them.  But now you also, put them all aside; anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.  Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him- (Col. 3:7-10).

Hey Gang:  Have you ever gotten interested in something that is really bazar bordering the sublime?   I find less and less interest in what comes across the boob-tube but once in a while I find something that triggers a question – why in the world would they do that?  The program is called American Pickers.

To make a long story very short, it is simply two guys in a moving-type van that go throughout the country visiting places where hoarders have barns full of ‘what are very precious items to the hoarder’ but look much like junk to me.  The amazing thing to me is, when offered a few bucks for an item that they dig out of the pile. in many cases the hoarder will not part with it.

Perhaps this program perked my attention because I kind of feel like many folks, even Believers, tend to fit into the hoarder category.  Point two of the Change Process fits nicely into this category; many folks want to follow the Lord but they will not give up the junk that they have accumulated throughout their life time. 

Remember, in point one of the Change Process, Paul said, “We have to die to our old self and put on a new self which is being renewed to a true knowledge, according to the image of the One who created him”.  I am presently reviewing a book, by David Wilkerson, that I have referred to many times. He is also the founder of Teen Challenge and author of the Cross and the Switchblade

The Title of this book is The New Covenant Unveiled.  The entire book is filled with one powerful statement after another.  I would suggest, if you want to grow in Christ, that you get a copy and spend a week or two alone in your closet and zero in on every word.  But, one that hit my hot button is found on page 127 (insignificant piece of information).  He wrote, “Here is the secret of the New Covenant:  It isn’t some sudden rush of supernatural power in us, enabling us to resist an overwhelming temptation.  Rather it is God’s still, small voice, revealing his love to us in the midst of our failure and testing.”

But, again, I would mind you that prior to Paul’s laying bomb shells in our minds and heart, he always sets the table in preparation for us to receive it.  In the step two of the Change Process we find an act of the will order (Paul never made suggestions!)  He said, “Now you also, put them all aside” Put what aside?

Bottom line, anything that stands between you and the King of kings and Lord of lords.  I am in the process of going through my tool shed and making a list of what will go to the next auction.  As I mature in Christ, I find that more and more of those things that were very important to me one day are no longer important.

And as I clean out the attic, basement and garage of my mind, heart and soul, I find very profound things happening; my attention is no longer on the bangles and beads of this world but on the things that have eternal value.  I began to understand what Paul meant when he wrote, “I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me.”  Gal. 2:20).

Peter gives us the key to victorious living under the rule and banner of Christ: “Therefore (the is one of those ‘therefores’, what is it there for?).  He wrote, “Therefore, gird up your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you are the Revelation of Jesus Christ” (I Pet. 1:13).

So, my good friends, we now have two significant pieces to the Change Process, the key to the process, as John the Baptist said, “I must decrease so that He (Jesus) increase”; In essence, “I must die to self” and the first step to implementing Paul’s change process?... I must will out the closet of my heart and “put off” all those things that are offensive to the Father.  Easy?  No way!   But God’s fringe package is awesome!

Blessings,

Gramps





No comments:

Post a Comment