Friday, July 7, 2017

A Contrast of Spirits --Vastly Different Outcomes

“But Saul and His people spared Agag and the best of the sheep the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were not willing to destroy them utterly; but everything despised and worthless, that they utterly destroyed” (2 Sam. 15:9).

Hey Gang:  Many years ago, when we were going through rapid expansion at the Village and a period when the alligators were doing more than nipping at our heals and were up to our armpits, I was priviledged to attend The Shepherd’s Conference in Kansas City.  The Kansas City News published a headline announcing that three-thousand shepherds were in town attending the Conference: they added that they did not know there were 3000 shepherds left in the country.

I would dearly love to give you a blow by blow account of the three-day event, but will suffice to say, it was a life-changing experience - at a time when I was going through very deep waters.  I was so very blessed to sit under several outstanding teachers -but the one that rally got inside my heart, soul and mind was Ern Baxter, then known throughout the world as being a ‘preacher’s- preacher’.  

He titled his series: “The King and His Army” and presented three, hour and half, electrifying messages from the writings of Samuel.  At that time cassettes were the way to immortalize special messages.  I purchased the tapes and in the next several years literally wore them out.  There were very few days when I did to invite Ern Baxter’s teaching into my heart and mind.

I talked with an old-salt several days ago and mentioned that I had been reviewing notes, that I have compiled over the years from the Old Covenant, and he said, “Oh, that’s all past, I only read the New Testament.”  I kind of felt like he was basking on the whip cream and cherry and was neglecting the ice cream and chocolate syrup.  You see, I believe, if Jesus and His intimate twelve quoted from the Old Covenant, that is reason enough that I should find about what is in it. 

I would dearly love to go down that track this morning but I feel a tug saying, “Get back on the subject, Hainley.” In his three sessions, Baxter laid out a clear picture of how America is following the same track that Israel followed when the people grumbled to Samuel and demanded a king to rule them and not a prophet, ”JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE”. 

Well, God answered, “Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them” (1 Sam. 8:7).   “BUT”-  Hey, careful of the in’s, and’s and but’s, they tend to sometimes come back to haunt you.   Samuel warned:  He (king) will take and he will take and he will take and then he will take some more” (I. Sam. 8:10-17).  Does that sound familiar?  

Saul had it all – he was chosen by God to be His king- but became increasingly rebellious toward he Lord.  If I were to make a listing of Saul’s rebellious acts toward God, I would place his refusal to do as Lord instructed him to do. In 1 Sam 15:7 Saul received this instruction from Samuel: “Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey”.  

We read in verse 9 Saul’s response to his marching orders from God through Samuel, “But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were not willing to destroy them utterly; but everything despised and worthless they utterly destroyed!”

 He made a bad decision to go his own way!  “Why then do you ask me, since the Lord has departed from you and has become your adversary?  The Lord has done accordingly as He spoke through me; for the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, to David.  As you did not obey the Lord and did not excecute His fierce wrath on Amalek, so the Lord had done this things to you this day” (1Sam 28:16-18). 

But Saul chose not to do it God’s way.  Note: the result of this rebellious act on Saul’s part- Saul was killed by the hand of an Amalekite  (2 Sam 1:8).

In this story of Saul and David’s kingship, is there a story tucked away for us and for this day?  Yes, I believe there is.  Note these words in I Sam 15:26: “The Lord has ejected you from being king over Israel”.  In I Samuel 16:12 we read of David’s anointing as king. 

Question?  Do you have two kings in your life, today?  If so, which one ae you serving?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment