Monday, July 17, 2017

Remember the D-14 Allis Chalmers Tractor?

My prayer this morning, “That He would grant you (me) according to His riches of His glory to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man” (Eph. 3:16).

Hey Gang:  Do you remember the stories of the grief my Allis Chalmers D-14 caused me?  You see, the tractor is older than dirt and has earned the right to be placed in the back forty and allowed to just rust away; but, I am determined to make it live as long as I am able to crawl up on its back and hear the roar of its engine. 

Well, maybe not a roar any more.  More like a purr!  After sitting all winter, I started keyed the switch, put it into gear and hit the throttle. It grunted and complained, as I expected it to return to yesterday’s glory days when it was filled with the enthusiasm to be of service and eager to fulfill my every expectation.  As Granny often said in her later years, when I get up in the morning, I check the ‘Obits’ and, if my name us not there, I get my cereal bowl out and get my day started.

So, I called my favorite repair shop and they sent a tractor ambulance and took my rusty D-14 to the tractor hospital.  After being thoroughly examined by the tractor doctor, he called to give me the prognosis.   He said, these old tractors, after they had lived their normal life and are on borrowed time often run very well when just sitting and idling. 

They can also fool you and run at full power, or what power is left in their crank case, once in a while; but they are also likely to rebel when you put them under power to complete a task.  In other words, all of the parts on that tractor have been through the mill for more than sixty years and are worn, loose and very tired.  My response, “You just gave me a perfect description of me!”

Three weeks passed and the phone remained very quiet and then, hallelujah, the phone came to life informing me the tractor was running like a smooth oiled machine, well may not smooth, but with more gusto then when they began to dig for life deep in its ‘innerds’.  He assured me I would see the D14 in my drive way the next day.  But!  I am not a great fan of “buts”! 

Shortly after the first call informing they had completed the restoration process, while loading the tractor for its trip home an oil leak was detected and re-admitted it to the tractor hospital. My tenure in the waiting room continues.   

Now, I believe there must be a learning experience in this story somewhere, but I’m not quite sure where.  The wood chopping process for the coming winter has been placed on hold; the filing of the ruts and holes from the winter has also been placed on hold;  I believe I have earned the right to throw a major, knock down pity party- but then again, I have completed, and continue to complete, major projects that have been on my bride’s ‘Honey do list” and there are some very neat fringe benefits of seeing her smiling face.

So, my friends, I decided to nip the ‘pity party’ in the bud and spend some time in my prayer closet.  That is much more beneficial and has greater rewards attached to it than ‘pity parties’.  I close with one of my very favorite verse from Doctor Luke that has been a guiding light for me. 

Challenge for the day!  It is found in Luke 6:38: “Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down and shaken together and running over, shall men give to you.  For with the same measure that you give, it shall be measured unto you,” Read it in your Bible. Take your red pen and underline the word ‘measure’.  Now, turn to your concordance and look up all the blessings that are associated with this promise from Abba Father.

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment