Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Are You Peculiar?

 “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (I Peter 2:9).


Hey Gang: In my travels through the Word of God I have found that no verse stands alone.  I have great concern when a pastor or teacher takes a verse out of context and does not surround it with all the hidden pearls of great price that support it.  One of my very favorite verses is Peter’s words found in I Peter 2:9.      

 As I study Peter’s life and words, I sense a kinship with him for I, too, have been known to step out of the boat and be a wee bit brash in some of my actions and words.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I, too, have been reprimanded when my brashness has become too bold.

When my grandkids were in their younger years, it was my privilege to baptize them.  On the day we were to complete this blessed event, a paternal Grandma, having been raised in the Catholic persuasion, had a concern that I was not a priest- in the Catholic sense of the word.  When I read Peter’s words to her, she was satisfied that I was, indeed qualified to baptize her grandchildren.

Does it not make you feel all warm inside when you realize that, as a child of God, you are a “royal priest?” One commentary suggested as people became believers they "…at once bore the dignity of kings, and the sanctity of priests".  Jesus, through John in Revelation wrote, “And hath made us kings and priests unto God." (Rev. 1:6).

In the King James Version we find the word peculiar used to describe God’s children.  Most folks would get that dander up, if referred as peculiar; but a little research soon shows us its meaning is much deeper than we find it used today.  The Greek word means “A people for a possession, that is pertaining to God”.  Thus we are people who are secured as a possession, or His own; a people that belongs to Him and no other.

So, young folks, have you praised Him this morning for calling you “…out of the darkness into His marvelous light.”    We live in a time when the dark clouds are gathering and all that can be shaken is being shaken, but it is not fan-tab-u-lus to know you are a”… royal priest, and a member of a holy nation, and a person for God’s own possession and you have been called out of darkness into His glorious light”.  Rejoice ye in it! 

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment