Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Who Is Your Vinedresser?

 I am the true vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser (John 15:1)

Hey Gang:   When you randomly open your Bible each morning, I do assume you open your Bible each morning to stoke the fire in your spiritual; boiler, does it open to one of those very special verses that ignite that fire?   All of God’s Word, inspired by God, is very special but one Psalm- the 23rd Psalm- places vey near the top of the most favorite of all the Old Covenant chapters.  And, it is the most well-known chapters in the world; probably John 3:16 is the most known, loved and quoted verse in the New Covenant.

This morning I randomly opened my Bible and it opened to the fifteenth chapter of the book of John.  It was no accident that it opened to John 15 because I often open the Word intentionally to John 15.     I call it the “IF” chapter or prerequisites to walking in the fullness of God and His Word.  It is a prerequisite to living a life filled with the joy that Christ wants to shower on each of His children.

Jesus paints us a beautiful word picture of how we are interconnected with the Vinedresser who is the Lord.  A picture that was immediately understandable for Israel, which was and is a land of vineyards.  They knew the process well- pruning the non-producing vines so that the producers could be more fruitful.

Jesus’ words contained a hidden truth that was far more important than the simple task of pruning away an unproductive vine.  It painted a picture of the religious practices that were common to the Jews of that time.  Many stories of the Old Testament that referred to Israel as the vine or vineyard of God.  The vine was the symbol of Israel even appearing on the Maccabees currency.  Solomon considered the vine significant enough in Jewish life to place a vine across the front of the Holy of Holies in the Temple.         

I love to get off by myself and read Jesus’ awesome words in this passage, I am the vine and you are the branches,” Wow! Lord, how awesome.  You mean I can be a branch in Your vine – does that not fire the cockles of your thumpers? 

But notice Jesus does not leave it there.  He goes on and gives us the Good News: we can be attached to His vine! He said, “Abide in Me, and I in you.  As a branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me.  I am and true vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing” (John 15:4). 

Wonderful, yes, but.. notice the next “IF”. “IF’ anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away – to where – “to be cast in the fire and they are burned(v.6).

So, my young friends, if’ I were to place a title on this Gramps Message, it would be  ‘Are You Grafted In?’ Are you truly attached to the Vine?’  Jesus made Himself available to us and walk through those wilderness times when He said, “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you might have peace” (John 16:3).

Blessings 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment