Tuesday, June 5, 2018

From Dishpan Hands to Rope Burns ( Tweener Years #3)


“For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised” (Hebrews 10:36).  “For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.” (Mat. 12:50).

Hey Gang:  No truer words were ever spoken than “It’s time to see if this project is going to live or die!”  Within weeks a Board of Directors was formed, incorporation papers filed, a retainer to hold that beautiful piece property was placed, (a faith gift provided by my in-laws) and my title changed from ‘Unemployed director of a none existent boys home to an employed director and budding boys home.’

Now, before I get into the continuing story introduced in the last blog, I want to blow away the “I don’t think I have the ability to do that”.  In the years as the builder of this program, we had many visitors who came, who saw, and felt the price was too high.  Did you know that God knows how to say “no” and close doors but He certainly likes us to put our faith into action! 

Shortly after Eagle Village became a legal entity, I received a call informing me that I had been scheduled to speak to a very elite Rotary Club, consisting of college presidents, attorneys, scientists and very successful business men.   I was a very poor student throughout my education process and had spent the previous three years working with- and learning the language of -delinquents.  I was also informed motivating this group of successful men could be very instrumental in the development of the Village.
I had two months to prepare but also two months to work myself into a tizzy.  They served roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy and peas that day.  Oh, I remember it so well.  Did you ever try and get peas to your mouth with a fork when you are in a “tizzy”?  But God had provided.  There was wonderful grand ma type person sitting beside me (who happened to by the Juvenile Judge) who reached over and put her hand on my arm and said, Mr Hainley, you know more about this subject than anyone in this room! Just get up and let it all hang out. 

As I stood before that group of more than a hundred very successful men, the nervousness disappeared. and I overstepped by time limit by twenty minutes but no one left.  I have always believed that God gave me that message which He specially designed for those men who had very little time for their families.   

One last point before I move on.  After the meeting ended and the room nearly empty, there was one table of men who had remained; one of the men called me over.   He said, “That is a large platter you have set out for yourself, how are you going to do it?  My response, “I do not have a clue, God has not shown me yet!”  His response, “I think I will help you!”. 

Several days after the Rotary presentation I received a call from the judge with a plea.  She said we have kids on the street that need to be off the streets into something what will give them a positive experience.  Is there anything you can do?  We had a wonderful campus, but our assets consisted of a sixteen-foot square cabin which was one and a half steps above condemnation, a thirty by fifteen cement block building, with a one stall bath room, and a wild goose who felt we were intruding on his property.


The cook just rang the dinner bell so will close this down for today and pick up the “Miracle of the First Village Summer Camp”.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment