Wednesday, April 5, 2017

How Is Your Scorecard On Obedience?


“See I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity; in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statues and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the Lord your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it”  (Deut. 30:15-16).

Hey Gang:  Have you ever asked God why it is that some folks have such a profound faith that they can move mountains and so many, like myself, tend to struggle when confronted with the clinkers of even the mole hill variety?   In my morning time with the Lord I was researching the Abrahamic Covenant and how it applies to our day and age.

I think I could spend the next week to ten days on the wonders of God covenant with Abraham, but the story of God’s calling to sacrifice his only son seemed to be in bold print. The first thing that struck my dome-of-intellect was- “He was really locked into the voice of God.” Abram heard his marching orders, hesitated not one second! And heeded its advice, as he had done in the past.   Let’s face it, to receive marching orders to leave the home of your youth and set out to a place =you had no idea where you were going- would take a heap of faith.   I can say, “been there and done that!”

When a total stranger comes to you, as you are cutting grass, and says, “I understand you are thinking about selling your house”, and you had not mentioned that to anyone, it tends to settle and question of whether we were contemplating doing what God had instructed us to do.  So, from that moment on, especially when the money suddenly became available to move now, there was never a lack of faith that we were doing what God had placed into our mind and heart. 

Right?  Absolutely, wrong!  With every piece of furniture that went out the door on its way to Goodwill or a friend’s house there as the ever-lurking whisper “Are you sure you are doing the right thing?” (And there there was the trip across country!! More questions and miracles.)

Do you think when God said to Abraham, “Take your Son, your only son and offer him as a sacrifice” he might have asked, “Are You Sure Lord?  I mean, we waited a hundred years for him and You did say he would be the father of great nations!”  Yes, Abraham was a man of tremendous faith but he was also a man of feelings and emotions. 

 My young friends, I close this epistle with a lesson that I have learned in my tenure of walking with the Lord:   Our obedience in completing an assigned task will determine if He will trust us with ever larger task in the future! 

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment