Tuesday, August 21, 2018

What You See Is Not Always What You Get!


"Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.  Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; A stranger, and not your own lips" (Pro. 27:1-2). 

Hey Gang:  My dear sainted Grandma used to refer to politicians as "clappers".  When asked what she meant, she would expand on her comment by saying, "A politician’s mouth goes like the clapper on a duck’s rear portions.  But the difference is the duck seems to know where it is going and seems to have the common sense to do what is best for he and his other ‘quakers’.”

We are in that agonizing period that our nation goes through every two years- the election of who we will place on the thrones of leadership of our country - or so we think.  But, as I reached the ‘older than dirt’ period of my life, I am more convinced that God gives us what we deserve.

Why do I believe that?  Solomon, the second wisest man who ever walked this earth wrote these words as a guide to us: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding".  Why?  "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight" And then the topper:  "Do not be wise in your own eyes" (Pro. 3:5-6).

I confess, I tend not to listen to the rhetoric that fills the airways for, in my “older than dirt” status, my recollections of past elections, people will say about anything and make brash promises that are forgotten when the loyal opposition admits defeat.  I tend to be a wee- bit hypper in my old age and I find my blood pressure begins to rise, if I watch the news -which at this moment is filled with politics.

But I believe in a far greater power than in the electorate of our nation.  Isaiah wrote these words: "It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...., "He it is who reduces rulers to nothing; Who makes the judges of the earth meaningless".

Daniel also addressed this issue when he wrote: "It is He who changes the times and epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings"  (Dan. 2:21).    

Paul refers to our day and age as "perilous times"  I have heard the phrase "going over the cliff" in reference to what is to come soon in our country but I do not believe the politicians in our country will be the drivers on that trip.

I also believe the Believers of our nations have the key to restoration in their hands, as given to us in 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If My people, who are called by My name, humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land”.

God filled His word with promises of restoration but they are all preceded with the mighty word, ”if”.  If you will humble yourself before Me, if you will pray diligently, if you will turn from your wicked ways – then I Will….  The “I wills are unlimited”.  Paul tells us we need to think on these things!  Are you thinking?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment