Tuesday, January 15, 2019

An Effective Insurance Policy

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk to them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up” (Deut. 6:5-7). 

Hey Gang: I have often shared with you some of my experiences in Amish country of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This morning I want to share a few of the wonderful experiences that I was privileged to see and, even been a part of, that show the heart of the Amish people.  I learned very early in my tenure among them that they have two focuses, God and family and everything they do centers on those two focuses.

This is the story of the Amish dad who was working with his very young son building a rabbit hutch. You see, the Amish believe that every person in the family should be a contributing member, therefore each is assigned chores that fit their age and capabilities, as soon as they are old enough to fulfill those responsibilities. 

His neighbor, who was a very successful farmer came over and suggested that he could save a lot of time and even a few bucks at the local elevator (grainery to the Amish).  They sell rabbit hutches already built and at reasonable prices.   The Amish Daddy said, but what would my son learn, if I bought an already completed rabbit hutch, and how would I teach him that a job well done brings confidence to try greater tasks?” 

He then added, “With each board that is cut and nail driven there is memory attached and a deeper relationship built between father and son.”  He closed his conversation by saying, “Cheaper is not the important issue that I want to teach my son, quality is.  I want him to feel good about his accomplishments, which will the foundation to far greater things in his future.”

We, meaning my bride and I, drive to Shipshewana, Indiana, several times a year for breakfast.  People thing we are a wee-bit weird, but Shipshe is Amish and Mennonite Country and we can feel the peace as we approach the tiny town.  There is only one other place where I feel such peace and that is when the aircraft wheels touch town at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel.  

We often spend the day just enjoying the clip-clop of the horses and see the warmth in the interaction of the families.   Oh, I know they are not without their problems. One day I saw the usual long table with the patriarch and matriarch at the head of the table and all of the family in attendance enjoying the fellowship. When asked, if attendance was mandatory, the patriarch said, “Not by word but by the desire of the heart”

I have told the story of a special comradery that exists among the Amish community, especially in times of woe.  One morning, as I was driving my route, I noticed Amish buggies with carts and full families on board heading toward one farmer’s place.   Tragedy struck! The barn caught fire during the night and burned to the ground. The fire destroyed livestock, farm implements, feed for the winter and all the other non-essentials that one likes to keep at hand.  Keep in mind the Amish do not believe in such things as insurance (as we know it), welfare or hand-outs of any kind.
 
To make a long story very short, the barn was totally raised with the week - but they were not done!  When the carts left the property for the last time, the livestock had been replaced, the farm implements were in the barn and the barn was filled with the needed livestock feed for the coming winter months.  As I drove by each day, it looked more like a family reunion, with all the wonderful festivities than a barn raising.  

Well, folks, thank you for giving me the opportunity to share some of the wonderful memories of my time among the Plain People.  As I mentioned above, yes, they have their problems, but their problems are not theirs alone; there is a community of people who all look much alike in their clothing and are amazing in their respect for each other.  Have you demonstrated God’s love and insurance policy to your neighbor recently?  Why?  Or Why Not?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment