Friday, May 17, 2019

Did You Know...Point two: God Liked Them!



“And it shall come about, if you listen obediently to my commandments which I am commanding you today, to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul, that He will give the rain for your land in its season, and early and late rain, that you may gather your grain and your new wine and your oil. He will give you grass in your fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied” (Deut. 11:13-15).

Hey Gang:  Common denominator number two with the people of God’s Hall of Faith – God liked them!  Say that with me “God likes me!”  Oh, come on say it out loud for all to hear. 

He liked David in spite of his being a murderer, adulterer.  Why?  Because David was a man after God’s own heart”.  Yes, he was a sinner just like you and me but how could God not like him when he cried out, “O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth, Who has displayed Your splendor above the heaven!” (Psa. 8:1).  Or in Psalm 9 where He shouted, “I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders.  I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High” (vs. 1-2).    

God liked Noah who was obedient and spent one hundred and twenty years building an ark in obedience to God’s word, even though he did not have a clue what rain was.  One might place the construction of a gigantic ark in the “hard to believe” column but build it he did.  Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen. 6:8). But when the ark finally rested on the mountain top, the next thing we read is Noah got roaring drunk and lay naked in his tent.  But he had a passion for the Lord and God likes that.

God liked Rahab, a hooker because she repented and got saved.  She later married Salmon who begat Boaz who married Ruth who begat Obed who begat Jesse who begat David and from the line of David we know the Son of God came into the world.  I want you to know that, in spite of her background and errors of her ways, God liked Rahab.
                                                                                                                                                                          
Impetuous Peter, the one with foot in mouth disease, whose eagerness showed in his ‘acting before thinking’ habits.  God knew that when the brusque fisherman settled into the dynamic force for Jesus that he would be a powerful fisher of men.  Breakfast was over and Jesus said, “Simon, son of John, do you love (agape) me more than these? (John 21:15-17).

I wonder, if Peter was wee-bit taken back with Jesus question, keep in mind he had just denied His Lord three times and, I suspect, it was still biting at his gut. Our failures tend to do that for a spell.  His response, “Yes, Lord, You know that I love (phileo) You”.  Perhaps that was for denial number one. 

Again, Jesus said, “Do you love Me, Peter?  Once again Peter replied, “You know that I love You”, but this time with a phileo love. Perhaps for denial number two.  And yet a third time, “Simon, Son of John, do you love (phileo) Me?”  Peter’s answer, I wonder if tears were not streaming down his cheeks, they are mine as I write this, “You know I Phileo You Lord”.  Perhaps for denial number three.  With each question from the Lord came the same response, Peter, son of John, the one whom I will build my church, “Feed My sheep.”

Each timed I read that passage I crawl into Peter’s sandals and take a peek deep into my mind, heart and soul and ask the question, do I phileo the Lord? or am I sold out and agapa the Lord? Having been involved with Voice of Martyrs and realize the numbers across the world who put their lives on the line when they stand for Jesus, I believe I would do that.  there may come a time in our country when this will be required of each of us.  Are you ready? 

As we celebrated the resurrection of Jesus and His victory over death for you and me, it was reassuring to see those in God’s Hall of Fame, that people were just like you and me. It was also neat and reassuring that He likes them and also likes you and me! 

So, my young chicks, keep this firmly entrenched in your heart, soul and mind, God likes you and He likes me in spite of our imperfections.   I am normal, I fail many times, but God still likes me- even to the point where He came, stood in for me and went to a hideous cross to free me from the bondage of my sins and open the door to eternity with Him, Yeshua Hamashiah. Does that fill the cockles of your heart?   

Blessings,

Gramps

An Amish Proverb: “It takes 73 muscles to frown and only 14 to smile.  No wonder grouchy people are always tired.”

No comments:

Post a Comment