Tuesday, May 21, 2019

DO You Know??? Part Three - God Likes Just Ordinary People

“Now they observed the confidence of Peter and John (just lowly fisherman by world standards) and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.  And seeing the man had been healed and standing with them, they had nothing to say” (Acts 4:13-14).    And notice Paul’s words in I Corinthians “God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong” (I Cor. 1:27).

Hey Gang:  There is an old country adage that says, “God must love the poor people of the world because He made so many of them”.  As I thought about what I would say to you his morning the thought entered my dome of intellect that we read throughout the Word that God loves each and every soul that had breath, is breathing right now, and will breath life in the future.  But what I do not find is that liked every soul that breathed life.

In my thirty plus years of working with children and families that had various levels and degrees of problem, I ran in many who were very unpleasant people.   In my tenure in the juvenile hall business I was cursed out frequently, cussed at and even spit at a few times.  On two occasions attacked; once, if it was not for a fellow worker, I could have been killed.  

Did it change the way I treated these very unlikeable people? No, as a matter of fact, it placed a fire in my gizzards to take on the really foul-mouthed, tough kids as a project.  Why, because they, in many ways looked like me when I was in my growing years. And I knew, deep in my heart, that I was looking at a soul who had been beaten into a corner on many occasions and had no one to go into the corner and pull them up by their bootstraps.   

You see, the longer I went into the lion’s den of Juvy Hall each day, I repeated “Greater Lord are you in me than in all of these fifty kids behind this wall who would dearly like to defeat you.  You are all powerful, so powerful You placed the stars in the heavens, and placed on this earth all of the magnificence that we are blessed to see”.

The day I walked into Juvvy I was a flunky on the bottom rung of the ladder, with extreme lack of chances to becoming more than a flunky.  I confess, I was so green and had very little understanding about what made these kids tick.  God certainly knew that. He also knew my heart and the depth of concern I had for these directionless kids and He arranged to change that by placing me in a position where two boys were fighting and I stepped between them to stop the fight.

One of the boys said, “Now whatcha gunna do, counselor?”  Out of my mouth came, “I don’t have a clue, you have not taught me what you need and how I can help you”.  And that is precisely what they did in the next three years. 

The point, I was a flunky in the system, bottom of the management chart.  Above me where psychologist, psychiatrist, Ph.d’s, Senior this and senior that, but when the kids needed to pour out their hearts, they would saunter up to me and say  Mr. H. “Do ya got a minute?”

Well, I could go on with this point for a day or so, but let me close with this challenge to you.  There are people all around you who are hurting deep inside and try not show that hurt but tend to try and hide it.  You don’t have to be a social worker, or a head doctor to see it in their face.  I call it the empty eye syndrome.  Am I saying you should become a shrink and dig into their world of hurts?  No, but when you are hurting deep inside, a simple friendly, “Hi,” can be like a laser beam that penetrates straight to the heart.

Let me close this epistle with a story of a lad who had been pushed into that corner one to many times. The very day he had planned to go to school one last time, clean out his locker and that night he would end his life.  On his way home from cleaning out his locker, arms full, he tripped, and his books and personal things went all over the ground.  While collecting the items, a class mate stopped and help him and walked home with him.   The classmate was an out going chap who had the gift of recognizing a mate who was frazzled and in need of someone to care.  They became friends and a life was saved.

God loves-- no make that stronger, God likes ordinary people.  For they are the salt in His family.  How about you, has the salt lost its savor in your witness?  Did you walk by some today and smile and give a simple “Hi”?  I challenge you to do it today, even right now, and watch the light go on in their eyes.

You have a blessed day, now hear?

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment