Friday, August 23, 2019

Getting Serious! Part 1


 Gramps Bible

“I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith .” II Timothy 4:7
His disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.” Acts 11:26

God does not want careless, casual Christians in His service? He never has."

This is a good follow up to our Pastor’s Summer series: Are You an 80/20 Christ-follower?  It is becoming more and more important to Identify ourselves as Christ- followers.  There are ‘Believers’ in many things and the word Christian is loosely used and mis-understood. This is a bit lengthy, but worth the read!

Several years ago, I (Anne Graham Lotz)-was interviewed by a leading Christian publication following a speaking engagement.   The journalist was fascinated, not just, by the message I had given, but by the way I had given it. He indicated that none of the popular Bible teachers and speakers had such a confrontational, in-your-face presentation. Instead, he said, the trend was going more to suggestive, thoughtful delivery. He said the best speakers were getting away from the authoritative and confrontational style of preaching. Then he asked me why I spoke in the style that I did.

My response to the journalist was that I never pre-plan how I deliver a message. After prayerfully preparing it, I simply release it. But as I have reflected on his question, I know the way the message is "released" comes from my heart and the deep, inner conviction of truth that is there through the Holy Spirit. It also comes from the very serious way I take my service to Christ.

I am convinced that the time to serve Christ is now! The words of Jesus in John 9:4 are haunting, "As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work? Time is running out. The night is coming. It's time to get serious about our service to Christ.

Read 2 Timothy 4

1. GET SERIOUS ABOUT THE CHARGE (2 TIMOTHY 4:-5)
• Give the three descriptive phrases in 2 Timothy 4:1 that set up the charge. Match each phrase with one of the following verses: John 14:17-18, 20,23; 1 Corinthians 3:1215, 16; 2 Peter 3:1€42; Matthew 24:42,44-46.
• Describe the seriousness implied by each phrase and apply each to your own situation.

A. BE PREPARED
What are some ways to be prepared, according to 1 Corinthians 3:1-2 and 2 Timothy 2:15? 2:21? Titus 3:1? 1 Peter 3:15? Ephesians 5:15-17?  • What do you think the Apostle Paul meant when he instructed Timothy to "be prepared in sea and out of season?"   How prepared are you?

B. BE PATIENT
• From 2 Timothy 4:2-3, why, do you think patience is required of those who are serious about their service?   Why is this same patience necessary for the sower in the parable of Matthew 13:1-9,1.8-23?
• How does James 5:7-8 emphasize this kind of patience?
• In what way has your patience in service been tried?

SOO, dear ‘young people in the Lord’, I pray you will choose-to follow this challenge from Paul the Apostle and Anne, and be blessed.Much more to follow!!

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment