Tuesday, August 13, 2019

When is a Catharsis a Miracle in the Making with a Blessing Attached?

“But as for me, I will, watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation.  My God will hear me.  Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy.  Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me” (Micah 7:7-8).

Hey Gang,  Do you know there are times when a potential catharsis turns into a miracle?  Well, let me share an experience that took place right here in the basement of my house- that I believe qualifies for a big fat “YES”.  We had been in Chicago for two days.   So, the following day was chore day and one of the chores consisted of filling the water jars in the basement.

No big deal!  I have connected a hose to the inlet off the well which allows me to fill the jugs.  Why do I do that? So, that we have drinking, coffee and cooking water that by passes the water softener.  And why by-pass the water softener?  To eliminate the salt from our diet.

I have done it hundreds of times, since moving into this house eighteen years ago, but this time was very, very different.   I turned the valve and immediately was soaked from head to foot.  Within moments I was kneeling in two inches of water and the three-and-a-half horse-power pump in the well was doing a magnificent job of soaking everything within ten feet. 

Fortunately, I did not lose it completely and run for help but kept very calm, reached up and pulled the switch killing the pump.  Problem solve, right?  Wrong, the pump fills a pressurized holding tank that continued to spew force a gusher of water.    But once again, maybe out of character for me in times of crisis, I kept my calm and picked up the facet and placed it back in the connector from which it had come and applied all the pressure I could muster from my body.  

And at the same moment yelled at the top of my lungs, “Jean, quick!”  A clamp solved the immediate problem.  Jean then said, “Shall I call Gary?”  Now Gary is a neighbor, but he is far more than a neighbor – he is a Godly servant who continually bails out me and others.  Within the hour Gary had come. The faucet was replaced and, with the help pf his power washer, we made short order of the water on the floor and came away with a much cleaner floor.  
 
Now for the miracle – as I mentioned - we just arrived home from Chicago after two-day visit to family.  If the faucet would have broken while we were gone, we would have arrived home to three foot of water in the basement. For those of you who have visited our basement, can you get a mental image of what the Christmas displays in our basement would have looked like under water.  Hey, pass the snorkel.

The point of the story: “God makes all things work to His good – if we are locked into His power supply”.  So, the next time it appears that you have a real live catharsis building, ask God how He is going to handle it. Then calmly respond to His leading.  It works so much better than throwing a fit and causing even greater damage.

So, my friends, make sure you check the water faucet in the basement, if you are going away for a spell, and make sure you are on good terms with your neighbor- in case you hit a catharsis that God wants to turn into a miracle.

Blessings,

Gramps


No comments:

Post a Comment