Monday, September 19, 2011

Are Your Priorities Right?








“Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature”  (Rom. 13:14).

Hey Gang:  In my high school years I was privileged to play drums in a pretty good dance band called the ‘Stardusters’.   As I have mentioned before, I was a backward sort of chap that tended to stay in the shadows but when I was playing a gig, I was something special! 

Each Saturday and Sunday night I would put on my maroon cardigan jacket, my blue pegged pants, my Mr. B. Shirt and suede shoes and step out from the shadows.  I was one cool dude!

But, at the same time, there was an emptiness down deep inside that continued to bug me.  How many know that when the dance is over there is always the feeling of emptiness that follows, until the next dance.  
I soon learned that the fancy threads did nothing to fill the vacuum that is just the size of God.

Paul addressed the clothing issue when he tells us to clothe “ourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ.” Would Jesus wear a cardigan jacket, pegged pants, Mr. B. shirt and suede shoes?  I think not.  Fashion dictates the way we dress.  We dress to impress.  Being accepted was very important to me, as it is with most folks.

Now comes the question, how can I dress myself with the Lord Jesus Christ?  To begin, it has nothing to do with threads and a whole heap to do with attitude!  When I am trying to impress folks by saying, “Hey, look at me!” it is based on an ego trip and I am on the wrong track.

The Bible challenges me not to gratify the desires of my sinful nature.  Who am I trying to impress and for what reasons?  We are warned that we can become so wrapped up in ‘self’ that we no longer see the sin in our lives.    
     
Soooo, good folks, when you put your threads on this morning, make sure the armor of God is also in place for you to be a witness of God’s love and grace.

Blessings,

Gramps


No comments:

Post a Comment