Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Are You Filled With Gloom and Despair? or Excitement?



“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me” (Gal 2:20)  And that, folks, we can take to the bank.

Hey Gang. As you know we just returned from nearly a month away from our Rehoboth (abode-home) and I also mentioned there were several very special events that transpired on the trip but I neglected to share a very important event – we had no television for more than two weeks. 

Now to some that might shake down as “tragic”.  To be isolated from the four square bobber tuber would be a little or a lot like suddenly finding yourself with no food in the pantry.  So after unloading the car, building a fire and lighting the hot water tank, I settled down to see what was happening in the world. 

As I watched an old song began to resonate in my dome of intellect; a song that is familiar to those with maturity of years.  It was made popular by the Kingston Trio, also known only by the fifty or more generation.
Notice the words, in some ways dated (more than 50 years since the Kingston Trio made this song popular) but in other ways it is as current as the headlines of today’s news:

They're rioting in Africa, they're starving in Spain. There's hurricanes in Florida, and Texas needs rain. The whole world is festering with unhappy souls.  The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles.  Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch. And I don't like anybody very much!  But we can be tranquil, and thankful, and proud, for man's been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud. And we know for certain that some lovely day someone will set the spark off, and we will all be blown away.  They're rioting in Africa, there's strife in Iran.  What nature doesn't do to us, will be done by our fellow man.”

Now, you can look at the world situation from two standpoints ‘gloom and doom and anxiety and panic, etc, etc, etc’.  or, you can look at it from the stand point that God remains in control. He is not nervous and fretting, as so many of we humans are, and His plan is fully in tack and on schedule.

Soooooo, your choice this day! You can “Straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near”  or you can join the growing hoards of folks who are living on the edge of panic and pain.  As for me, I know my Savior lives!  How about you?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment