Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Yoke Is Not A Bad Thing







“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, AND YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  (Matt. 11:28-30)

Hey gang:  Are you dealing with some tough issues this morning?  Read the Scripture again and get it firmly implanted in your mind and heart.  Jesus never said anything that was not truth, nothing but the truth, so help me Abba Father.   But, to understand what He is saying we must do some fast tracking through the Word and find out what He meant. 

In the Greek the word ‘easy’ literally means well fitting.  William Barkley, in his Daily Study Bible Series tells us that there is a legend that Jesus was the best yoke maker in Israel and folks came ‘hither and yon’ to get him to tailor make a yoke that would not gall their oxen. 

It has been suggested that Jesus had a sign above his shop door that read “My yokes fit well.”  Perhaps here He is using a picture from the carpenter’s shop in Nazareth where he had worked throughout His silent years.

Jesus said, “My yoke fits well”.  I believe what He means is “The life I give you is not one that will gall you.”  Whatever God sends our way is made perfectly to fit our needs and our abilities to the ‘T’.   

Sooo,  my young friends, when you think your yoke is especially heavy, keep in mind it was perfectly honed by a Master Carpenter and will not ‘gall’ your spirit.

Blessings,

Gramps

P.S.  But living in this world without the Lord’s “yoke” is dangerous….indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment