Tuesday, March 20, 2012


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Ein Gedi (ICEJ Staff photograph)Ein Gedi
Today's picture is of the ruins of an ancient settlement around the springs of Ein Gedi, near the Deas Sea south of Jerusalem. It reminds us of 1 Samuel 24:1; "Now when Saul returned from pursuing the Philistines, he was told, saying, "Behold, David is in the wilderness of Engedi." 

(My picture of Engedi is a dense green area across from the Dead Sea sloping up hundreds of feet into caves.   Gma)

Hey gang, did you ever wonder what heaven is going to be like?  I am sometimes accused, probably rightfully so, of asking questions that seem weird to most.  For instance, I was sitting at a stop light last week and a semi truck went by, then  an ambulance, and then a motor cycle. And this question popped into my head, ‘I wonder what the transportation system will look like in heaven?’  

We are told in Revelation 21:16 the New Jerusalem will be laid out square, and its length and its width and its height will be fifteen hundred miles. Now in the hillbilly vernacular that is a 'fer piece', which might lead one to believe you would need some sort of transportation to get from one side to the other.

In doing a quick trip through the Bible I see that God used a variety of modes of transportation.  In Genesis we have the ark ,which I would suggest is probably not a vehicle that would be of much use in an urban city.  Then we have Elijah making his get-away from earth in a flaming chariot.  There again I feel flaming chariots would not be practical in a city the size of the New Jerusalem. 
We do not find that Jesus or the disciples using any people-moving-modes of transportation with the exception of Jesus triumphal entry on the back of a donkey.   And, of course ,we all remember the three magi arriving on camels at the place where they found Jesus at his inaugural appearance on earth. 

But the more I thought about this question the more the thought that maybe we won’t need any transportation.   But then I got hung up on Paul’s words in Roman’s where he wrote, “He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you” (8:11).   Does that mean we will have mortal bodies in heaven?

As I sat there thinking about this question,   a wrecker went by followed by a fire truck.  And then the thought surfaced in my dome of intellect that there would be  no need for any of these vehicles in heaven.  There will be no need for medical facilities, prisons, electrical systems, or any of the other trappings that we find essential in our daily lives.  And the big issue- the blow your mind issue is- we don’t have to go anywhere to sit at the feet of Christ, He is right there inside and around us!

Soooo, gang, not sure I answered the question, but then again, one of the fabulous things that God put into our hearts is the joy of anticipation.  Each day as my body sends messages it is breaking down, I focus on the wondrous thought that one day soon I will break out of this earthly body and head for God’s paradise where I will run and leap and praise God. 

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment