Monday, March 19, 2012

This Is Eternal Life That They May Know You


Tel Aviv sunset (ICEJ Staff photograph)Tel Aviv Sunset
Today's picture is of the sun setting over the beach in Tel Aviv. It reminds us of Isaiah 59: 19-20, "So they will fear the name of the LORD from the west and His glory from the rising of the sun, for He will come like a rushing stream which the wind of the LORD drives. A Redeemer will come to Zion, and to those who turn from transgression in Jacob, declares the LORD"

“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life, it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life”  (John 5:39-40).

Hey Gang:  in a recent gramps morning thoughts I shared the deep desire of my heart is to sit at the feet of Jesus just as Mary did.  I asked the question of each of you “Have you ever had a yearning so deep that it filled your every thought.  I pray you have given that question your undivided attention.
But those who know me also know that I am not one that leaves unanswered questions lying dormant in my dome of intellect.  I do not believe God would have me seek such an experience while here on earth without making provision for me to have the desire of my heart fulfilled. 

How many know that God does indeed work in mysterious ways.  I just happened to open a book that I have been wading through to the chapter titled “The Undivided Life” and I believe I have found God’s formula for sitting at the feet of Jesus even now while I am an earthbound homo-sapien.

He begins by saying you can be a 'Bible attacker', where the challenge is to read through the Bible from cover to cover.  He warns that to be filled with the knowledge about the Bible but to be unwashed by it is worse than not knowing it at all.  It can give us a false sense of security.

Have you ever come face to face with a Bible thumper who could quote Scriptures that fit every  subject but when one looked at the fruits of their lives – there is a melt down between what they are saying and  the fruits they are producing in their lives?
  
Now hear me, he was not putting down reading the Bible through or even reading large portions of Scripture in rapid fire motion; it is meditation on the Word, (internalizing) that will lead to growing in the Lord.  His suggestion, take a passage and first seek the Lord’s guidance and wisdom to understand and grow in the Lord through that passage.   Ask Him, “Lord what do you want to say to me in this moment?”  Keep in mind the Bible is God’s love letter to His children and to get the depth out of what He is saying, we must consume it like a love letter.

Keep in mind, the goal is not to get through the Scriptures, but to get the Scriptures through us.  ThePsalmist says that sitting at the feet of Jesus comes to the person who meditates on the law ‘day and night’ (Psa. 1:2).  Keep in mind meditation is a slow process that requires allowing God’s thoughts and words to seep deep into our souls.

Soooooo friends and neighbors,  do you want to sit at the feet of Jesus?   Then “be still and know that He is  God” (Psa. 46:10).  Remember, the word that God speaks to us can renew our mind but we must be silent and receive it.  

Blessing,

  Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment