Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Saint in Sheep's Clothing


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Dan Stream (ICEJ Staff photograph)Dan Stream
Today's picture is of the Dan Stream in Israel's far north. It reminds us of Ezekiel 34:13; "I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries and bring them to their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the streams, and in all the inhabited places of the land" 

“Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty; put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”  (Mark 12:43-44).

Hey Gang:  In my life time I have been blessed to rub elbows with two types of people – the takers and  the givers.  Jesus referred to the two classes as sheep and goats, wheat and tares and those who believe in Him and those who do not.

In my more immature years I thought the great people of the world were those who had all the bangles and beads, those who lived on knob hill, those who were the great athletes and those who were the power brokers of the world. O how wrong I was!

Let me give you an example of a power broker that impacted on my life and the lives of every person who crossed paths with her.  I would guess she weighed less than one hundred pounds.  From the physical standpoint she was never a candidate for the Miss American contest.  I am not sure if she graduated from high school.  She was by no means a standout performer in the areas of leadership in her community.

True, she was no candidate for Miss American, BUT she contained and demonstrated an inner beauty that made her stand out among the crowd.  No, she never worked outside her home but her work was never done.  Her husband and her children and later her grand children were the pearls of great price in her life.  And to meet her for the first time was to become one of those children or grandchildren in her eyes.

We celebrated her home going this past week.  In her final years  as her health was failing and I am sure there were days when she used every ounce of strength in her body to care for her family and anyone else who showed up on her doorstep that day, because that was her “good work that God did through her”

I say with great confidence that at the moment her heart stopped and she showed up at the gates of heaven, Jesus took her by the hand and said, “Well done good and faithful servant”. 

Soooo, all you who are heavy laden, know this, Polly is running and leaping and praising God this morning.   If she could send you a message today it would be “Be a servant and go and spread the Good News that Jesus Christ is Lord."  I look forward to the day when I hear my name called.  How about you?

Blessings

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment