Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are You Willing To Get Your Hands Dirty?

Passover Food (Illustrative)Passover Food

Today's picture is of the traditional foods eaten by Jewish families at the Passover Seder. It reminds us of Exodus 12:7-8; "Moreover, they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it. They shall eat the flesh that same night, roasted with fire, and they shall eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs"



“And the leper came to Him and bowed down before Him and said, “Lord, if You are willing, 
You can make me clean. “  Jesus stretched His hand and touched him, saying, “I am wiling; 
be cleansed”.  And immediately the leprosy was cleanses”.  (Matt. 8:2-3)

Hey Gang:  How many know that building a program can be an all consuming project and can even 
zap your energy and enthusiasm? Such happened to me and my bride after several years of 24 – 7 weeks.  It was time for a recharging 
of the batteries, if we were going to be able to continue on the same track.

God knew that too and sent a man into our life who was going to provide a new spark in our lives.  He was the founder and director of 
a ministry in the Araba of Israel,  a few miles south of the Dead Sea.  I had always wanted to go to Israel, but not on one of the tours 
where you spend most of the day getting in and out of buses and changing hotels every night. 

I wanted to be involved in a ministry where I would get my hands dirty, to feel the earth and leave a little bit of me behind to grow.  Wow,
did  I get my hearts desire.  It would be neat to be able to share the wonderful experiences I had in my ten trips to Israel but that would 
take a book or two. 

I often share the news that when we arrived at Tel Tamar (then Ir Ovot) which was also known as Oboth in the wilderness of Zin, we did 
not have much to work with in preparing the Kibbutz for future sojourners. It was there that, when I took to pieces of junk and made one piece of junk  that worked, it was a pretty good feeling.

There is a tree at Tel Tamar and nearby to the tree is a well, both have been there for more than 2000 years.  It is thought that when 
Joseph was given instructions to take Mary and the Christ child to Egypt, he may have taken the least traveled route, which would 
have been the Roman road through Oboth.  What a special place it was to have morning devotions.

When I read of the Exodus from Egypt by the children of Israel, I have a much clearer picture of what they must have endured in their 
forty- year sojourn.  But far more important is my time spent in the deserts and wilderness where Jesus also walked make the Word
more alive and added a mental image to the Scriptures.

I look forward to that day when I will spend eternity in the New Jerusalem.  I pray you will all join me there.

Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment