Thursday, April 12, 2012

Little But Powerful


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Israelis praying at the Western Wall (ICEJ Staff photograph)Israelis praying
Today's picture is of a group of Israelis praying at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. It reminds us of 2 Chronicles 
7:13-15; "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or ifI send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and 
seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears 

“Therefore, if you have been raised up with Christ keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated 
at the right hand of God.” (Col. 3:1).

Hey Gang:  I have said it before and I say it again, I love the little, what most would call insignificant words of the Bible. They are kind of like the people behind the scenes that are considered by man as mundane but in reality  who make things work, like janitors, cooks. 

I often asked the kids in chapel what is the most important word in the English language.  I would get such responses as, love, joy, peace and some that I will not give space in this epistle.  Of course your most important word may be totally different than mine,  but the one word that I do not want to hear when I stand before God is “NOT”.  (I KNOW YOU NOT!)

Colossians three is filled with little insignificant words that carry life changing power.  Paul gives us a four step process for change.   Paul is what I call a “Practical teacher” .  He gives a principle and then gives us the manual on how to implement the principle.  In Colossians three we find six words, none ofgrandiose significance but when wrapped in his descriptive way of teaching they can be life changing.

Note step one is a three letter word “Die”.  Paul says we have to die to anything that stands between us and God.   To this step in the process he adds such words a immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire and greed.  I am sure all who read this epistle could make their own list.

The second step in the process is we must “Put off”.   Notice  Paul did not say it would be a good idea to put off such things such as anger, wrath, malice, slander and abusive speech, lying but rather made it an “act of the will” issue., a just plain “DO IT!”.

His third step - again two simple words “put on”.  Jesus said when we clean house and evict the evil one we best fill the house with the good news that Jesus Christ is owner of your house other - wise the evil one will return and bring his cousins with him. 
  
The final insignificant word, which is also the most difficult to implement is “Let” .  “Let the peace of God rule in your heart, let the word of Christ richly dwell with you”

Soooo, Six rather insignificant words, die, put off, put on, and let.  One last but very important kicker that makes Paul’s change process fly “IF”.  If you have been raised up with Christ!”  

Paul closed this most important principle by saying “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks through Him to God the Father.”  (vs. 17).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment