Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Commandment With Promise


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Fallow Deer at the Jerusalem Zoon (ICEJ Staff Photograph)Fallow Deer
Today's picture is of Fallow Deer, native to the Holy Land. It reminds us of Psalm 42:1-2; "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God"


“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord Your God gives you.” (Exodus 20:12).

Hey Gang:  I mentioned in a recent morning message that I had done some serious black pot cooking.  I might add the beans and ham,  salads and fresh baked bread with strawberry jam was fabulous. 

Black pot cooking requires your personal attention throughout the cooking process.  The key to successful black pot cooking is to control the heat.  If it get to hot, it burns the bottom of what you are cooking, and if not enough heat, the obvious result is a underdone end-product.  That is part of the enjoyment of black pot cooking; it makes one stop the business of the day, get a good book, sit back and patiently wait for the finished product.

But this time was different.  For some reason my dad was the focus of my thoughts.  I want you to know I loved my daddy, but as a boy growing up I did not believe my daddy loved me.  I used to think he was an angry man but as I have grown older I believe my daddy was really a frustrated man. He was not a school- educated man but he certainly was a self taught person who could literally fix anything and everything. As I think about his life, I realize how frustrated he was because his life was filled with failures and disappointments.

He married and started his family during the tough depression years.  The only work he could find was as a coal miner.  They tell me he was a good coal miner and worked hard to be productive, but one day an accident ended his coal mining years.  He and mom then opened a bakery and just as it was beginning to thrive, it burned to the ground.

He then went to work for a bus company as a driver and life seemed to stabilize for him, but one day tragedy struck again – the company went out of business and at age 57 he lost all of his retirement.  But, once again God provided and he was able to find work as a school custodian in California.  

I do not recall ever sitting on my daddy's lap or spending undivided time with me.  I do not recall him ever telling me I had done something well.  I don’t recall him ever saying much of anything to me.  But God does move in mysterious ways.  When he was in his final years on earth, he was diagmosed with the hideous disease, Alzheimer’s. We cared for him in our home for those final years.  One day, I was doing the dishes, I felt his presence behind me.  He said, Kermit, (he  had not known who I was for years) I want you to know that I love you.    I waited more than sixty years to hear that!

Soooo, ladies and gentlemen, my counsel to you this morning is keep the faith and put your trust that God will give you the desire of your heart.  It may take sixty years, but He is faithful and true to meet our inner most needs.

Blessing,

 Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment