Friday, January 25, 2013

Be Content



"I know how to get along with humble means and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need" (Phil. 4:12).

Hey Gang:  I found the following statement in a magazine that rang my bell, "Contentment begins when comparison stops.”  How true that is, at least for yours truly.  You see, I have always had a hard time being content at anything.  When I do a project I always end up doing far more than I anticipated.  If you don't believe that come and see the Christmas displays in our basement. When I set out to do a writing project, I am never content to leave it until it is completely done, corrected and published.

If I am in the final stages of a wood project and my bride calls for lunch or some other important chore, I tend to want to complete the project before I answer her call.  On top of this my brain seems to be stuck in a nonstop mode.  For me to sit down and read a book is agony and pain.  I presently have four books in the mill, one on page 18, the second on page 34, a third on 59 and the last on page 102.  (Note:  page 102 is a tremendous victory.)

This trait equipped me to be a role model for kids that I have worked with, for I have yet, in more than fifty years of working with dysfunctional children, have found one who is content.  As a matter of fact I have often taught in workshops and shared that they are dysfunctional because they are unable to find contentment.  It is like having an itch you cannot scratch and you spend every waking hour trying to fill that churning in your gut.

Does that mean I am plagued with uncontentment the rest of my life?  At age 79, if I am going to learn what Paul meant when he wrote, "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am." (Phil.4:11), I am going to have to get myself in gear, so me thinks I am talking to me and not you this time around.. 

Now, let me share with you a neat diversion we developed in our Girls’ Wilderness Quest Program that seemed to lead to contentment.  We built four shelters in a remote part of the campus.  They had no electricity, no water, no facilities of any kind and the girls had to walk half a mile to get to the dining hall and to do most activities.  And then one day one of the staff suggested we alternate boys and girls in the camp.  The result was open rebellion on the part of the girls and boys alike.  The girls did not want to move out and the boys did not want to move in.

When asked why the girls were so adamant in remaining in the primitive setting the main reason was "Here, we can be us, we do not have to put on a front - no make-up, no being concerned about our cloths, etc.  In other words they were content to be who they really were.   

Soooo, do you get the point?  "Contentment does begin when comparison is put to bed.   I believe I have learned that we cannot weigh our contentment on a scale of stuff.  When stuff is your measurement, you will never have enough because there is always someone out there who has "more stuff".

Blessings,   Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment