Monday, January 14, 2013

Just Be Ready





For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them" (Eph. 2:10)

Hey Gang:  While driving home from Oklahoma I heard the following very disturbing story.  A ministry group, on one of the colleges in the Mid-west, decided to do a experiment based on the story of the Good Samaritan.  They chose the busy intersection on the campus and determined the busiest time of the day to do their test:  one of their members volunteered to lay in the intersection and act like he was in pain.  The object was to see if there was one who would come to the aid of the injured class mate.

The experiment went off much like the story of the Good Samaritan in the Bible, with one exception - there was no Good Samaritan that came forth to give aid to the injured classmate!  They estimated that more than two hundred students passed by their classmate.  The thing that bothered me about this story was not the outcome of the experiment, for that is one of the common maladies of our country today, 
tthat we no longer follow God's mandate to love God and love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Nor do we care all that much about widows and orphans, the elderly and the infirmed.  I mean, after all, in world standards they are better off than most, with all the government benefits they receive. 

While working at VOM and discussing the news that we read and hear about happening in the Muslim and Communist Countries (many turning their lives over to Yeshua), one of the young people we work with asked, “Why do we not hear about the same thing happening in our country?”  There is no question that the underground church is growing very rapidly, especially in those countries where persecution is the worst. SO, Why not here?

We did not have time to discuss this question at any length, but I have had time to ponder it since and would say to him, “The answer can be found in Revelation 3:15-17 where Jesus said to John, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are a lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.  Because you say, I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked"

 Soooo,  In my hours of feeding envelopes to the mail preparation machine at Voice of Martyrs, I had plenty of time to do some serious praying and pondering.  Did you know it is good to take some time away from the hustle and bustle of today's world and just plain "ponder".   And one of the main things I pondered and continue to do so is the verse in I Chronicles 7:14 where we are told that “If we, His people, who are called by his name will humble themselves and pray, and fervently and turn from our wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and heal their land".   
  
My question to God,  “In which of those areas did those who are called by your name fail?” And after many hours, I have concluded that the answer is "all three.  Notice the next verse, "Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place" (vs. 15).  What does that verse say to you this morning?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment