Friday, January 18, 2013

The Lord is My Shepherd -Continued




"Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Psa. 23:6).

Hey Gang: Last time I closed as Paul began to share some of the alligators one might encounter in their walk with the Lord, especially those who are committed to serving the Lord with all their heart, soul and mind.

Paul talked about "slight afflictions" in this passage of Scripture which he later described in 2 Corinthians 11:25-33.  To name a few, he list "beaten without number", "five times in prison", hunger has been my constant companion", I have been shipped wrecked, traveled dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren".  He closes this dissertation on pain and agony with these words: "If I have to boast, I will boast of my weakness"  (vs. 30). 

Think about that for a moment.  Do we not want things short and sweet, neatly laid out on a platter that does not include ‘slight afflictions’ or ‘walks through the valleys’  James would say, "Hey gang, look on the bright side of ‘slight afflictions’,  they build endurance in our soul which leads "to being perfect and lacking nothing" (James 1:3-4). 

An old adage warns us "too much sun leads only to desert, pithiness and rot in our souls".   The plain people, the Amish, put it this way: "If you find a pathway with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere".

In Psa. 23:5 we see a new role, for God in our lives,  David sees God as his "host". "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies". The host publically provides protection and convenience for all in their care..  Why?  Because we are programmed through and by the Holy Spirit to want to love one another and care for the needs of others. It is the implementation of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

And, we have God's great assurance that although we find ourselves in the midst of our enemies, He will provide for us.  We don't have to look in the rear view mirror for God,  He is up front removing the alligators.  And His ways are ways of good news and love.

What a fabulous ending David's places in this awesome word from the Lord, "I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."  Think, not of tomorrow or when we die, but today - forever means today!  He is there in small things.  He is there in corporate worship.  He is there when we reach out to serve others.

Sooooo, warriors in Christ, keep in mind we need to remain focused on the "I shall not want." Keep in mind God is in the midst of his people - we don't have to go to some beautiful edifice to find Him.  God knew our need for this moment even before time began.  God's challenge to us today through David's heart - "I will dwell in the house of  the Lord forever."

 Blessings,
Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment