Monday, September 2, 2013

Another Trip Around the Mountain

"It has happened to them according to the true proverb "A dog returns to its own vomit," and, "As a sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:22).

Hey Gang   Years ago, while in High School, I was part of the Starduster's, a jazz band that played in many of the clubs in central Pennsylvania.  As a teen ager, I was not permitted in the clubs that served booze without one of my parents being present.  Soooo, the first thing we had to do when we arrived are the club was to recruit a parent for me.  I can attest to the fact that I had Italian momma's, Polish mommies, Russian mommies and a whole barn full of Hillbilly momma's. 

My favorite surrogate momma, by far, was a very portly Italian momma who made the best meat ball sandwich I have ever eaten.  I did not particularly like to do gig's at the Italian Club up in the mountains because of the long ride to get there.  The clientele consisted mostly of coal miners and log cutters and about ten thirty, after they had had times to get a jag on, the fights would break out.  From that point on the only thing that would stop the fights was playing the Star Spangle Banner.  

The Starduster's were made up of three gentlemen of Polish decent, three gentlemen of Italian decent and me, which also meant there were six of the Catholic persuasion and me, who at that time was not much of anything.   So, the leader being Polish had a tendency to seek gigs in the areas where the Polka was the national song.  Now, I admit, I did not particularly like to play Polka's but towards of end of the evening my disdain lessened for they were loud and kept me awake.

When we played a Thursday night gig, we had to leave early so the Polish and Italian gentlemen could stop by the local Parish and confess their sins of the past week and clean the slate- so they could go out and do precisely what they did last week.  Being the youngest of the troop and the most naive, I could not understand why they wasted the time when it seemed to me that confession was nothing more than a ritual that soothed their guilt complexes for the moment.

Now that was about sixty- five years ago and I was pretty innocent of the ways of the world, but I confess to you, that as I have grown more mature (old), I have gained a kind of respect for those coal miners and loggers they did not make any bones about it, they had no time for God in their lives.  But I also confess, as I have been involved in various churches over the years, I have gained a distain for those who claim to believe in the Lord as Savior but the fruits of their lives send a totally different message.

Soooo my young friends, take heed of Jesus words when He said "Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of the Father who is in heaven will enter" (Matt. 7:21).   So, I ask you, if you were called home today and found yourself standing before the throne, how would you answer God's question, "What did you do with My Son Jesus?"

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment