Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Measure of Healing


God’s Power Principle For Today:  “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God”  (2 Cor. 1:3-4).

Hey Gang:   Years ago I had the opportunity to visit Carlsbad Caverns, a seven-tier cave that is fabulously beautiful.  When we reached the bottom of the caverns, the guide said, “Take hold of the rope and I will show you what true blackness is.”  He then pulled the lever and the lights went out.  He was partially right.  It was the blackest I had ever experienced.

But I have since learned there is an emotional and spiritual blackness that far exceeds the blackness I experienced that day.   One cannot put adequate words to the description one feels when you lose a child.  It is one of the experiences when you can only cry out to God and ask, “Why, Lord.’  You see it is not as God designed that our children should precede us in death.

I have been asked many times by other parents who have walked that very tragic road, “How long does it take to get over the pain?”  My answer, “I do not know” for there are days when I feel he will drive up the driveway in his red sports car, and then reality sets in and the pain and agony once again fills my heart with pain.

There is an experience in life that even exceeds this experience and that is to lose a second child, and that is compounded by the death of a grandson, and the loss of two nieces to cancer.   It seems that I have spent a good portion of my life asking’ “Why Lord?”  “Why would You take these beautiful children in their prime who loved You with all their heart.”

There are those who have said, “They are better off where they are, you surely could not wish them back”.  My response has always been the same, “You have never lost a child have you?”  A friend once said, “God needed them more than you”.    Again they had never stood by the casket of their child.

Agony and pain, yes, but there is a beautiful part of going through the process of burying the body of a child- it is just the body that is being buried- the soul and spirit have long since departed to be with the Lord for all eternity. 

Are there days when the agony and pain are lessened?  Yes, and on those days when it is not I turn to the last chapters of Revelation and read what God has prepared for those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

 I look for that moment when my Jesus will appear in the clouds and call His children to be with Him- for I believe it is at that moment that I will be able to put my arms around my David, my Michael, my Ryan, my Cindy and my Sam/Sharon and all who have gone before that loved You, Jesus, as their Lord and Savior.  What a reunion that will be when our Lord we will see and celebrate His victories at the Marriage Feast of the Lamb.

My prayer for each who read this morning message, is that Your Name is listed in the Lamb’s Book of Life and you will receive a special invitation to be a part of the Bride at the marriage  and Wedding Feast of the Lamb.

Blessings,

Gramps




No comments:

Post a Comment