Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What Does Your Patience Meter Record This Morning?

“Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus” (Rom. 15:5).

Hey Gang:  The Bible says, “I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.  He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.  He put a new song in my mouth a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear and trust in the Lord” (Ps. 40:1-3)

If I were to sub title this this epistle, I would title it, “Do you have an itch you can’t scratch?”  Those of you who have been with me, these many years, will recall that I have had a thorn in the flesh that I wish I could say has taught me patience. The thorn - a D 14 Allis Chalmers tractor.  Now, for those of you that know nothing about D 14 Allis Chalmers tractors, you need to know, first of all, that they have lived beyond the normal working life and has earned the right to be recycled into a new bright and shiny new tractor.

You see it has a congenital problem, called rust in the gas tank. So after a short period of time, the feed lines to the carburetor get clogged and it ceases to run!  And, as you might guess, it always happens at the most in-opportune times.  So the work stops, while I get out the air compressor, blow out the lines and give it new breath -a kind of line by-pass surgery to allow air/ (blood) to flow more freely.

Wow, it sounded so good when the job was completed!  Perhaps I was a wee bit optimistic, for after each time I blew it out before, it also sounded great - until one of those little chunks of rust hit the carburetor. 

The snow is gone and the ground is drying, so it is about time to get the D 14 out and get about getting the wood in for the coming winter; but this year I decided to bite the bullet and beat the clogging problem to the punch. However, I noticed something very different as I got out the tool box, and dug into the problem, I was at ease! Something I never had before, when dealing with this problem, No anxiety, just a calmness that filled my spirit. 

Oh, I forgot to mention, when I bought the tractor, more than fifteen years ago, I barely knew where to check the oil and put the gas into it. Now I tackle all kinds of jobs without apprehension.  The trials have taught me many things about the old faithful beast and the greatest of all is “patience”.

So I ask you this morning, “When was the last time you were satisfied?”  I mean rally satisfied.  Paul wrote in his first letter to Timothy: “We brought nothing into the world, so we can take nothing out.  But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that.”  (6:7-8). 

Satisfied?  I believe most would agree, that is something we are not.  We take a vacation of a lifetime, we satiate ourselves with sun, fun, and good food.  But we are not even on the way home before we dread the end of the trip and begin planning another.  We are just not satisfied.

As a child we wish we were teenager; as teen we wish we were adults; if we are in middle management, we wish we were in the ivory tower brigade; if we are blessed with a good job, we wish we were at the top of the ladder!  We are just not satisfied.

Contentment is a difficult virtue.  Why?  Because there is nothing on earth that can satisfy our deepest longing.  We long to see God.  The leaves of life are rustling with the rumor that we will see Him one day, face to face – and we won’t be satisfied until we do. 

But this I can attest to….as I have advanced in the Golden Years (golden for the medical profession) I have become a wee-bit more satisfied.  The best part of my day is the early morning hours when I lock myself away with the Lord and His Word.  Now that, my young friends is pure satisfaction.  Try it, even for five minutes each morning before you start the busy time of the day.  You will be amazed at how it adds a different look to your day.

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment