Friday, May 20, 2016

The Sun Came Up This Morning - Whoopee!!


“And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us” (Romans 5:3-5).

Hey Gang, as a dear friend once said, “I sit down with my first cup of coffee for the day and read the obits and, if my name is not there, I get my day started.”  I have learned, in my aging years, that one nice thing about getting old is that I no longer panic when I hear dire prophecies of the future.  I’ve seen too many stories of the’ sky is falling’ or the ‘Country is about to go over the precipice’ come and go.

Books on “The coming economic crash” have come out in every decade of my life.  But the only folks that can do anything to prevent it do not seem concerned, they continue to spend money they do not have, so why should I worry.  “Gloom and Doom prophets” have predicted we would run out of food by the turn of the millennium; one only has to visit any one of the many smorgasbords in our nation and see the number one health problem in America is obesity.

Hollywood has become wealthy by feeding the anxieties of the masses with such things as George Orwell’s Totalitarian world of 1984 and the “Juniper Effect” of 1976, when planets were supposed to align, creating high tides and earthquakes.  BUT the sun has continued to come up very faithfully every day since!

And the new craze of the day, one that has made a barn full of millionaires, including the great Noble Peace awardee by the name of Alvin Gore, who rides around the world in his private jet that is spewing out the contaminates that, in his view are causing the earth to heat up.   Now we are told that the earth has a fever, that asteroids are missing us by millimeters, and that genetic engineering will give our grandkids two heads.

The editor of a large Metro Newspaper was once asked, “Why do you never print anything that is good?”  His response was, “Good does not sell newspapers”. We know people would far rather read of a gory killing than a skid row bum who surrendered his life to Jesus and became an evangelist or business leader.

Is the world more vile than it was when our Lord Yeshua walked the earth?  I think not.  It was a totalitarian world filled with mass slavery and sickness, and the life expectancy was less than forty years.  On this ocean of woe, Jesus launched the Church.

Prophecies that leave God out of the picture are always suspect with me.  In every generation God has provided saviors; a Joseph, a Moses, an Esther.  Perhaps someone reading these words will be the one to solve the killing in the Middle East or rekindle the economy. 

I often wonder if God designed a person to be the founder of a cure for cancer, or diabetes or Alzheimer’s or perhaps would have been a leader such as David, or Joseph but whose life was ended before they were allowed to draw their first breath.    

Well, l as I mentioned before, the sun DID come up again this morning and I did check to see if my name was in the obit ‘s, and it was not- so I will close this and put on my armor of God, fill my lamp with the ols of the Holy Spirit and allow God to use me in some way - to make life a wee bit better today than it was yesterday for someone who is hurting.

Blessings.  

Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment