Friday, June 17, 2016

Jesus Said: "Ask, But There is a Prerequisite!

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened”  (Luke 11:9-10).
Hey Gang:  Many years ago, we had the opportunity to hear a converted alcoholic who went= from a chief executive of a corporation that developed the hardware for the space program - to a skid row bum.  One day when he was at the apex of his rebellion against God, God tapped him on the shoulder and said, “I have something I want you to do for Me”. He repented and was instantly cleansed of his unrighteous behavior.

He was asked, if he prayed for healing for someone and that person died, what would he do?  His response, “Go to the next person who needs healing and pray for them.”   He then gave a principle of ministry that is the preventer of burn out – “I am not responsible for the harvest only for the seed planting”.   

Did you ever ask God why bad things happen to good people?  Or ever wonder why, when you do as God said, “Ask, seek and knock," but the fruits of your prayer fail to materialize?  “Why, Lord, did you not hear my prayer? Or why, Lord, did you not do as you said, "Ask and I will deliver?”

As I have looked and asked these very questions throughout my 82 years of walking through many valleys and shadows, I believe there has come a degree of understanding.  I have begun to understand that below the surface of these words is the humility of fervent prayer, the vigorous activity of seeking after God, and the persistence to overcome any obstacle that is placed between us and God.

I have also learned that God’s ways are always far and above better than my ways. The Bible tells us God's ways are not our ways, neither His thoughts our thoughts.  “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts” (Is. 55:9). 

Does this not sound a lot different than the self-serving first impression we often associate with this passage?   Careful, young friends,  that you not accept a shallow, worldly interpretation of Jesus' words but the blessed, deep, and rich meaning that Jesus intended. 

Soooo, as you take your petitions before the Lord this morning, keep in mind Jesus made a promise in this teaching. Good things, very good things will come to those who actively participate in the asking, seeking, and knocking of faithful living (see Matthew 7:9-11). And that my good compatriots is the truth!

Blessings,  
Gramps


P.S.  One last point:  When Jesus implored His disciples to ask, seek, and knock, He taught them (and us) the basics of what it means to live a life of faith.   

No comments:

Post a Comment