Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Your Way or God's Way, That IS the Question!


 Do you know what God’s desire is for you today? “That the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what  the hope of His calling is, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” (Eph. 1:18-19a). 

And how do we make this happen?  We don’t. “It comes through the working of the strength of His (God’s) might.”  (vs. 19b).  Did you know that God is a compulsive decorator?  He is not satisfied to put a coat of paint over the dingy house, He would far rather replace the rotten parts and do a major overhaul.   You know, like the television program ‘Home Make Over’; they  completely destroy the old, decrepit house and begin with a new foundation.

I believe many folks, who hear the word and respond to the Pastor’s call to give their hearts and soul to the Lord, become a casualty of the Seed Parable that tells me the many fell by the wayside. I believe they are lost because they have no ‘!knobs on the head’ to hang the things of God on.   In simple language, they have no foundation or hooks in their brains to hang this new information on, so it withers on the vine.

Let me put some meat on that statement.  My niece purchased a newly built house several years ago. Suddenly it began to sink on one corner.   She called the contractor and he immediately repaired the outward appearance of the problem, but did not address the real problem, a sink hole under the foundation.  Within weeks the problem worsened due to the added weight. 

I believe that is a good analogy of what happens to many folks who respond to the word for the right reason, and try to build a house on the rock without understanding the dynamics or mechanics of what that means.  They hear a salvation message that sears their heart and they respond and, the next Sunday the Pastor presents a message that they have no foundation on which to hang his unrelated message. 

I believe I was saved in my adolescent years but, confess I was one disappointed cookie when none of the so called ‘pillars of the church’ took me under their wing and taught me what it means to be a follower of Jesus.  When I received the letter telling me I had been accepted as a future air traffic controller, they didn’t give me a date when I was to report to the Pittsburgh Air Traffic Control Center and be ready to handle a full shift of control duties. - even though I had been a radar controller in the USAF.

I did receive a letter that gave me the date I was to report to the Air Traffic Control Training Center in Norman, Oklahoma, for ten weeks of intense training. And if, at the end of that time, I was not proficient at handling minimum traffic, note minimum, I would become a member of the unemployed. 

When I went to Pittsburgh and worked my first shift, it was not as a fully checked-out radar controller handling a hundred or more aircraft every hour, but rather I worked for several months under the direct eye-ball supervision of an old salt that had many years of scar tissue on the scopes and boards.   Note: he was responsible for everything I did and said.  I was a trainee that had no status. 

Now, my friends, there are some similarities in this process that I feel are very lacking in most churches. I probably have no business giving you my opinion of these shortcomings but I will share them anyway.  Shortcoming number one, a major related to the seed planting parable – no one took me under their wing.

Why? When I began my tenure as an active controller, they gave me a manual and said memorize every jot and title of it.  Kind of like when Isaiah was told to literally eat the Word.  I had to memorize every airway, every distance, air speeds and climbing capacities of every type of aircraft, every radio aid frequency, and minimum altitudes for five states

What does that have to do with becoming and becoming an effective Christian?  In other words the salvation message gives an instant high and a feeling of utopia, but as Jesus warned, some seeds fell beside the road beside the road and the birds ate them up.  Others fell on rocky places and the hot sun scorched them to death, while others feel among thorns, and the thorns squeezed the life out of them.  (Matt. 13:3-7). 

Well, this has exceeded my expectations for today so will close it for now, but I believe there is more the Lord would have me share, so please turn in and, as Paul Harvey would say, tomorrow, the rest of the story.

Blessings,

Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment